I’ve been collecting stories for a while now, so it’s time for a “link dump,” so to speak.
- Kevin Becker-Menditto (Front Royal 2014) saved a game last night for Alvernia, which doesn’t by itself make
for big news, except that it was Kevin’s 46th career save, which happens to tie the Division-III record. With the win, Alvernia advances in the winner’s bracket of the NCAA Mid-Atlantic Baseball Regional. He only needed 5 pitches to lock this one down. Watch for Kevin to break the record very soon!
- Mac Williamson (Harrisonburg 2011) had Tommy John surgery a year ago, but he is starting to round into form. Milb.com published a feature on Mac a couple days ago.
- Five days ago, ATVL favorite Rico Noel (Covington 2008) finally made his 2015 debut for Triple-A El Paso. He’s off to a 385/375/385 start, with 2 stolen bases.
- Austin Gomber (Luray 2012) was named the Midwest League’s pitcher of the week by milb.com (for the week ending May 10th).
- And speaking of Austin Gomber, John Sickels posted a nice writeup about him.
- Matt Snyder (Haymarket, Winchester 2011) has been promoted to Double-A Trenton by the New York Yankees. Matt deserved it; he was hitting 371/468/494 at High-A Tampa, along with a 15/17 BB/K ratio.
- Jordan Edgerton (Woodstock 2013), after another 3-hit game on May 12th, is hitting a robust 352/387/429 after a month at Low-A Rome. He also has 23 RBIs in his 27 games.
- Last but definitely not least, Jason Kipnis (Covington 2006-07) is finally healthy and hitting very, very well for the Cleveland Indians. After 32 games and 132 at-bats, Jason is hitting 311/376/462, with 7 doubles, 2 triples, 3 home runs, and 12 walks against 17 strikeouts. Might another All-Star game appearance be in his future?
Kevin Becker-Menditto broke the saves record the next night (47). He also broke the Career ERA record for Division 3 . The old record was 1.07 (need 100 innings to quality) . Kevin’s ERA was 1.00. Absolutely outstanding career. He also had 13 wins as a closer.