Let’s take a look at the situation for each Valley League team with two days left….
1. Strasburg Express, 29-11, 2 games left: @Staunton, Purcellville… Clinched Northern division. One game lead over Waynesboro for the best record in the league.
2. Winchester Royals, 22-18, 2 games left: @Purcellville, @Woodstock… one win OR one Front Royal loss will clinch 2nd place for the Royals.
3. Front Royal Cardinals, 21-20, 1 game left: @New Market… Clinched at least 3rd place. As seen in Winchester’s line, if the Cards win, and the Royals lose its two remaining games, they will be tied at 22-20. They are tied 3-3 in head to head games, of course.
4. Purcellville Cannons, 18-22, 2 games left: Winchester, @Strasburg… Can not catch Front Royal now… Cannons lead New Market by 2 games- one Cannon win OR one New Market loss will clinch the last playoff spot in the North.
5. New Market Rebels, 16-24, 2 games left: @Woodstock, Front Royal… One Purcellville win OR one New Market loss will eliminate the Rebels. They need some help now.
6. Woodstock River Bandits, 11-29, 2 games left: New Market, Winchester… Bandits have been eliminated from the playoff chase. The Bandits’ .275 winning percentage is the worst since Rockbridge went 9-33 in 2009 (.214).
1. Waynesboro Generals, 28-12, 2 games left: @Covington, Staunton… One Waynesboro win OR one Turk loss clinches the division. Generals are also one game behind Strasburg for the best record in the entire league.
2. Harrisonburg Turks, 26-14, 2 games left: @Charlottesville, @Charlottesville… See Generals writeup. Turks have clinched at least 2nd place in the divison.
3. Covington Lumberjacks, 22-18, 2 games left: @Waynesboro, Charlottesville… It doesn’t matter what the Jacks do- they are in 3rd place, and will travel to the #2 team for game one of the playoffs soon.
4. Staunton Braves, 14-26, 2 games left: Strasburg, @Waynesboro… a half game ahead of Charlottesville for the final playoff spot. Two games against the top two teams. The Braves and Tom Sox are tied in the loss column, so the Braves do not control their own destiny. (If the two teams tie, they will play a one game winner-take-all playoff game.)
5. Charlottesville Tom Sox, 13-26, 3 games left: Harrisonburg, Harrisonburg, @Covington. The Tom Sox can certainly catch the Braves now, as both teams have the same total of losses. Tonight’s doubleheader is crucial for the Sox- two wins will put a huge amount of pressure on the Braves….