A bit of a mish-mash about Valley League alumni…
Did you know…..
- That four former VBLers are currently playing in Aberdeen, the Orioles’ short season team in the New York Penn League? They are William Reed Hayes (Staunton 2015), Zach Jarrett (Woodstock 2014), Trevor Craport (Harrisonburg 2016) and Ben Breazeale (Harrisonburg 2014).
- That, speaking of Craport, he’s exploded in August? He’s hitting 422/493/594, with 9 doubles in 64 at-bats.
- That David Carpenter (Covington 2004) was signed by the Arizona Diamondbacks in July out of the Independent Leagues? David was pitching for Bridgeport of the Atlantic League, where we went- check out these numbers- 1-3, 1.91, with 30 saves in 39 games. In 37 2/3 innings, he allowed 27 hits, 12 walks, and struck out 45 batters.
- That Chris Nunn (Winchester 2010) was signed, also out of the Independent Leagues, by the Chicago Cubs? Chris made a start Friday night for Double-A Tennessee. It didn’t go so well, but he has his foot back in the door!
- That Patrick Mazeika (Waynesboro 2010) was promoted to Double-A Binghamton? After hitting 287/389/406 in 100 games in High-A, Patrick is hitting 400/471/733 in 6 games at Double-A so far.
- And that the team in Binghamton is called the “Rumble Ponies?” What in the world is a rumble pony?
- That Jack Leathersich (Haymarket 2010) has struck out 63 batters in 40 Triple-A innings for Iowa? He’s also thrown 2/3 of an inning for the Cubs. It didn’t go well.
- That Erik Kratz (Waynesboro 2000, Harrisonburg 2001) has hit 12 home runs this season for Triple-A Columbus, giving him 122 career minor league homers?
- That Robby Rinn (Aldie 2013) has a hit in 15 straight games for Idaho Falls in the Pioneer League? Overall, he’s hitting 357/439/536 in 207 at-bats.