I’m sitting here in my little “office,” working on the stats from last night, a night on which three of the five games were cancelled, and it’s pouring rain outside right now. Such is the theme for the summer so far. Hopefully the games can be played tonight, but in the meantime, let’s take a look at the two games that were played:
- Strasburg at Waynesboro PPD
- Covington at Winchester PPD
- Charlottesville at New Market PPD
- Staunton 16, Purcellville 8 (6 innings)- field was a sloppy mess, but it was played!
- Front Royal 8, Woodstock 4
Hitter of the Day
Plenty of guys to choose from here, but the player with the best night is Staunton’s Cole Swiger, from Bloomsburg! Cole went 3-5, with 3 runs, 3 RBIs, a double, and a home run. He’s 9-25 so far this summer, with a slash line of 360/448/560. He hit 339/461/514 for Bloomsburg this spring, with 18 doubles in 183 at-bats.
Others of Note
- Christian Avant, Front Royal: 2-4, 3 RBIs
- Christian Garabedian, Purcellville: 2-3, 2 runs, 3 RBIs, HR
- Brett Willett, Staunton: 3-4, 2 runs, 2B
- Seth Hartings, Staunton: 2-4, 3 runs, RBI
- Trey Jacobs, Staunton: 3-5, 3 runs, RBI, 2 2B
- Eric Conner, Staunton: 2-4, 2 runs, 4 RBIs, 2B
- Hayden Leatherwood, Staunton: 2-3, 2 RBIs, SF
Pitcher of the Day
The POD is, once again, from Front Royal. Today it’s Andrew Brighton, from Nebraska-Omaha, in his first appearance in the summer. He went 5 innings against Woodstock, allowing 4 hits, 1 earned run, 2 walks, and striking out 4. He earned the win and a game score of 57. The junior lefty went 2-3, 4.85 in 59 1/3 innings this spring.
- Staunton at Front Royal
- Charlottesville at Purcellville
- New Market at Winchester
- Waynesboro at Woodstock
- Covington at Harrisonburg