The Staunton Braves has an interesting journey yesterday- at Front Royal at 2 PM and Strasburg at 7 PM. Makes for a long day, but because of all the rainouts, GMs need to be creative to get the games in. Add in two tough losses… well, the night off tonight for the Braves should be welcome.
So, four games, two of which obviously included Staunton, were played last night…
- Front Royal 17, Staunton 4
- Strasburg 13, Staunton 11 (7 runs in the last 2 innings for Express; walk-off grand slam hit by Justin Hayes)
- Waynesboro 6, Harrisonburg 5 (10 innings)
- Winchester 10, Covington 4
Hitter of the Day
We’re naming two again. Once you get into the “4-5 with power” range, it’s pretty hard to choose.
- Front Royal’s Christian Avant, from Georgia Southern against Staunton: 4-5, with 3 runs, 5 RBIs, a double, triple, stolen base, and sacrifice fly. He’s now hitting 377/443/541 in 61 at-bats for the Cardinals. He hit 298/395/358 in 162 at-bats this spring in college.
- Strasburg’s Colton Schultz, from UAB- also against Staunton: 4-5, 3 runs, 5 RBIs, 2 home runs. He’s now slashing 333/432/540 for the Express, and hit 262/345/325 in 191 at-bats in the same lineup with Carter Pharis at UAB.
Others of Note
- Brycen Thomas, Staunton: 2-3, run, RBI, BB, HBP (Gm1)
- Branden Hernandez, Staunton: 3-4, run RBI (Gm1)
- Brady Ballstadt, Front Royal: 4-6, 2 runs, 3B, SB
- Kendall Small, Front Royal: 3-6, 5 RBIs
- Alex Cimaroli, Front Royal: 2-3, 3 runs, 2 RBIs, BB, SB
- William Simoneit, Staunton: 2-3, 2 runs, 2 BB, 2B (Gm2)
- Brandon Hernandez, Staunton: 2-5, 2 runs, 3 BB, 2B (Gm2)
- Luke Jackson, Staunton: 3-5. run, 2 RBIs (Gm2)
- Justin Hayes, Strasburg: 2-6, 2 runs, 4 RBIs, walk-off grand slam
- Jimmy Jeffries, Strasburg: 2-4, run, RBI, BB
- Elian Merejo, Harrisonburg: 3-4, RBI, 2B
- Gabe Montenegro, Waynesboro: 3-5, 2 runs, BB, 2B
- Chase Cheek, Waynesboro: 3-5, RBI, 2B, SB
- Alex Brait, Waynesboro: 3-5, HBP
- Jackson Webb, Waynesboro: 2-4, run, BB, SB
- Bennett Hostetler, Covington: 3-5, run, RBI, 2 2B, SB
- Jordan Huntley, Winchester: 2-3, 3 runs, RBI, BB, 2B, HBP, 2 SB
Pitcher of the Day
The pitcher of the day, for a second time, is Waynesboro’s Nathan Schneider, from St. Mary’s. Nathan threw 7 innings against Harrisonburg, allowing 6 hits, 3 runs, 1 earned, 1 walk, and striking out 7. Also the winner on June 20th, Nathan is now 1-0, 2.90, with 18 strikeouts in 21 2/3 innings pitched this summer.
Others of Note
- Austin DesRoche, Front Royal: 5 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 2 K’s
- Hank Biggs, Winchester: 4 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K’s
- Woodstock at Strasburg
- Harrisonburg at Purcellville
- Charlottesville at Covington
- Front Royal at Winchester
- Waynesboro at New Market