Baseball America recently updated their top 10 prospect lists (subscription required) for each major team at the midseason point.
Five former Valley Leaguers were mentioned in one way or another:
- Austin Gomber (Luray 2012) is the St. Louis Cardinals’ #9 prospect, after a first half in which he had an excellent start against the Reds (7 no-hit innings until the alarm went off). BA says that “he’s settled in nicely as a middle/long reliever.”
- Nate Pearson (Staunton 2016) is still listed at #3 on Toronto’s list, even though he broke his arm on a comebacker in his first start of the year. BA says, “The Blue Jays are hopeful he can pitch again in 2018, but there isn’t a timetable for his return.”
- Michael Gigliotti (Covington 2015) is listed under the category of “hurting,” as he had knee surgery after only 6 games, and will miss the rest of the season.
- Justin Anderson (Front Royal 2013) has the heading “graduating.” BA added, “With a fastball that touches 99 mph and a nasty slider, [Justin] has emerged as a valuable late-inning reliever for the Angels, with a 3.34 ERA in 35 games.”
- Max Povse (Staunton 2013) has the heading “falling,” unfortunately. BA explains: “He struggled to maintain his release points,” and “the wheels came off.” Max is currently on the disabled list at Double-A Arkansas.