It’s March already! While that typically means a month of college basketball, in this space, it means that the college baseball season is heating up.
After perusing boxscores from yesterday, here is a sampling of former Valley Leaguers who performed well:
- Tulane’s Trevor Jensen (Winchester 2016) went 2-3, with 2 runs and an RBI against Dartmouth.
- VCU’s Justin Sorokowski (Charlottesville 2017) threw 4 shutout, one-hit innings against Cornell, with 1 walk and 4 strikeouts. (Will Simoneit (Staunton 2018) had one hit in this one.)
- Duke’s Chase Cheek (Waynesboro 2018) went 2-4 against Penn State, with 2 runs, a walk, double, and stolen base.
- Kyle McCann (Harrisonburg 2017), from Georgia Tech, had what is probably the best hitting game of the day against Northwestern. He went 3-5, with 3 runs, 7 RBIs, a double, and 2 home runs (one was a grand slam).
- New Market’s Andrew Eyster (2018), from South Carolina (and 2018 VBL MVP), went 3-4, with a run, 2 RBIs, double, and home run against Clemson.
- Alex Brait (Waynesboro 2018), from Florida Gulf Coast, went 3-6, with 2 runs and an RBI in the Eagles’ 17-6 shellacking of Siena.
- Cam Weinberger (Charlottesville 2018), from Charleston Southern, struck out 8 batters in 4 1/3 innings against Ball State. He was saddled with the loss, but missed a ton of bats.
- Bryce Windham, the shortstop on the Tom Sox championship team in 2017, went 2-3 with a a walk and RBI for Old Dominion. Interestingly, Bryce is spending time behind the plate for the Monarchs this spring.
- Hunter Gregory (Charlottesville 2018) threw 3 effective innings for ODU, allowing 1 hit, 1 unearned run, 1 walk, and struck out 5. He got the win against Rutgers.
- Kieton Rivers (Strasburg 2018) was on base three times for Coastal Carolina- he went 1-1, wth 2 runs, 3 RBIs, and 2 walks against Illinois.
- Former Tom Sox Ari Sechopoulos (2017) went 2-4, with a run, RBI, and triple for Charleston against North Carolina A&T.
- Gunnar Lambert (Charles Town 2015), for Florida Atlantic, went 3-4, with 2 runs, 3 RBIs, and a home run against Monmouth.
- Luke Robinson (Waynesboro 2017, Winchester 2018) went 2-4 for Western Carolina, with a run, 2 RBIs, and a home run against Wright State.
- Andrew Bullock (Waynesboro 2016), a teammate of Robinson’s, went 2-3, with a run and walk.
- Yet another former Tom Sox, Austin Higginbotham (2017) threw 5 excellent innings for Wofford, allowing 5 hits, 3 runs, 2 earned, 1 walk, and striking out 9. (Pat McColl (Charlottesville 2018) hit a home run in the 9th inning for Harvard.)
- Norfolk State’s Justin Hayes (Strasburg 2018) went 2-4, with a run, RBI, and double against Quinnipiac.
- Bennett Hostetler (Covington 2018) went 3-5 in North Dakota State’s first game yesterday, with 3 runs and an RBI.
- Alabama State’s Yamil Pagan (Front Royal 2016) went 2-3, with 2 runs, an RBI, 2 walks, a double, and a stolen base against Mississippi Valley State.
- Pagan’s teammate, Eriq White (Purcellville 2016), went 2-3, with 3 runs, 4 RBIs, 2 walks, and a double.
Congrats to all!