The story of this very young college baseball season, from a Valley League perspective, seems to be Kyle McCann, the former Turk (2017) and current Georgia Tech junior catcher.
Yesterday, McCann went deep twice more for the Wreck against Kennesaw State, giving him six home runs in the first six days of March, and nine overall. So now Kyle is hitting a ridiculous 388/500/980 in 49 at-bats, with 15 runs, 21 RBIs, 2 doubles, 9 home runs, and an 11/12 BB/K ratio. He is second in all of Division-I in homers, and will be in the top ten in slugging percentage, too. And, of course, he was the National Player of the Week last week.
Others of Note
Other former Valley Leaguers who performed well yesterday:
- Kieton Rivers, Coastal Carolina (Strasburg 2018): 2-4, run, 4 RBIs, 2B
- Evan Justice, NC State (Charlottesville 2018): 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K’s
- Jacob Koos, Stetson (Winchester 2016): 2-4, 2 runs, RBI, BB, 2B, SB
- Matthew Koehler, Western Carolina, (Woodstock 2015, Purcellville 2018): 4-5, 5 runs, BB, 2B, SB
- Luke Robinson, Western Carolina, (Waynesboro 2017, Winchester 2018): 3-5, 2 runs, 6 RBIs, 2B, HR
- Bruce Steel, Wake Forest (Charlottesville 2016): 2-4, 3 runs, 2 RBIs, BB, 2 HR
- Chase Sudduth, North Georgia (New Market 2017-8): 5-5, 5 runs, 2 RBIs, BB, HR (What?!?)