Here is the list of the top 20 batting averages in the Valley League, 1994-2019:
|Andrew Eyster||New Market||2018||0.406|
|13||Dominic Canzone||Front Royal||2017||0.404|
|18||Jeff Van Houten||Harrisonburg||2003||0.391|
|20||Nate Rewers||Front Royal||1998||0.388|
- These averages are the regular season and playoffs combined.
- The top 14 entries, and 18 of the 20 on this list were within the last ten years. Any thoughts about whether the league slants towards hitting or pitching?
- Ten teams are represented; weirdly, all of them are still active (in other words, no Luray, Haymarket, Aldie, Rockbridge, Loudoun, etc).
- Staunton, Woodstock, and Harrisonburg all have three players listed; Charlottesville, Strasburg, Waynesboro, Winchester, and Front Royal have two, and Covington and New Market have one.
- Eleven of the 20 were named MVP. Can you name them?
- Thirteen players have hit .400 or better in a season; the first was in 2007, and all the others were since 2011 (the last nine seasons).
- Michael Wielansky had one of the best seasons the Valley has ever seen, and he was a D-III player from Wooster.