While the OBP list was very “recent heavy,” this list has some older guys on it. Take a gander- the best slugging percentages in the Valley League from 1994 to 2019:
|1||Andrew Eyster||New Market||2018||0.762|
|4||Jon Love||Front Royal||2004||0.731|
|9||Jeff Van Houten||Harrisonburg||2003||0.688|
|10||Kirk Asche||New Market||1998||0.687|
|13||Steve McQuail||Front Royal||2009||0.669|
- Eight of these guys were league MVPs (Eyster, Sterry, Townsend, Love, Nagle, Van Houten, Ridings, Michaels)
- Again, nine current VBL franchises have representatives here- the two missing are Charlottesville and Strasburg (weirdly). Winchester and Covington have four each, New Market, Waynesboro, Front Royal, Woodstock, Staunton, and Harrisonburg have two, and Purcellville has one.
- “Era” doesn’t seem to matter as much on this one. We have guys as far back as Jason Michaels in 1995, to the most recent, Caleb Ward and Aidan Nagle from 2019 (they were teammates, too). Five players made this list from 2012, widely considered as the summer of incredible offenses… although the league ERA was actually worse in 2019 than 2012 (5.12 to 5.08), but the league slugging was higher in 2012 (.413 to .396). The year of 2012 is the only season that the league slugging topped .400. (Soooo much more will be made of the team stats from these years. Give me some time, ok?)
- Five of these guys actually reached the highest level of baseball- Huff, Williamson, Odom, Cowgill, and Michaels.
- Eight more played in the minors- Sterry, Townsend, Van Houten, Asche, Yezzo, McQuail, Ridings, Nidiffer, and two more probably will- Mundy and Esquerra have been signed by major league teams, but haven’t made their debuts yet.
- Next up will be runs scored, a list that will have very different players!