No, folks, the standings on the Valley League website, as of this moment, are NOT correct. A game from Wednesday involving Waynesboro and Harrisonburg ran into some stat problems. We are all aware of it, and are working diligently to fix it. It will happen soon! (I hope.)
But let’s take a look at updated (correct) standings and scenarios!
- Strasburg has clinched a playoff spot, but the position is still up in the air. Six remaining games: At Winchester, at Purcellville, at Winchester, at Winchester, Purcellville, at Purcellville
- Woodstock (still) will clinch a playoff spot with one more win. Six remaining games: at Purcellville, at Winchester (DH), at Front Royal, Winchester, New Market
- New Market gained a game on the top two spots last night; Five remaining games: at Front Royal, Front Royal, at Purcellville, at Front Royal, at Woodstock
- Winchester is two games ahead of Front Royal for the last playoff spot, and also gained a game on first and second last night. Nine remaining games: at Strasburg, Woodstock (DH), Strasburg, Strasburg, at Purcellville (DH), at Woodstock, Front Royal
- Front Royal (still) can reach as high as third place with a strong finish, and can still technically earn a tie for second. Seven remaining games: New Market, at New Market, at Charlottesville (DH), Woodstock, New Market, at Winchester
- Purcellville can still catch Winchester for the fourth spot, but one Winchester win and one Cannon loss will eliminate Purcellville. Seven remaining games: Woodstock, Strasburg, New Market, Winchester (DH), at Strasburg, Strasburg
This is the grid that is incorrect on the VBL website.
- Charlottesville has clinched the #1 seed. Five remaining games: Front Royal (DH), Harrisonburg, at Waynesboro, Waynesboro
- Harrisonburg has six remaining games: Staunton, Waynesboro, at Waynesboro, at Charlottesville, Staunton, at Staunton
- Waynesboro has four remaining games: at Harrisonburg, Harrisonburg, Charlottesville, at Charlottesville
- Staunton has three remaining games: at Harrisonburg, at Harrisonburg, Harrisonburg
- Harrisonburg, Waynesboro, and Staunton can end up in any order at this point. I mean- there are three games just between Staunton and Harrisonburg, and they are only one game apart in the standings!