Two games were played last night, so let’s look at the updated race for the playoffs:
- Woodstock clinched a top two spot. Two remaining games: Winchester, New Market
- Strasburg has clinched a top two spot. Three remaining games: at Winchester, Purcellville, at Purcellville
- New Market has clinched a playoff spot. One remaining game: at Woodstock
- Winchester has clinched a playoff spot. Five remaining games: Strasburg, at Purcellville (DH), at Woodstock, Front Royal- Not sure what will happen with the doubleheader with Purcellville that was rained out yesterday. (I’ll let you know!)
- Front Royal has been eliminated from playoff contention. One remaining game: at Winchester
- Purcellville has been eliminated from playoff contention. Four remaining games: Winchester (DH), at Strasburg, Strasburg
- The only questions remaining are about seeds between the top two teams, and the #3 and #4 teams. Winchester has too many games remaining to make any “if…then” statements!
THE NORTH PLAYOFFS ARE STILL SCHEDULED TO BEGIN ON SUNDAY, JULY 25, BUT THIS MAY CHANGE?
- Charlottesville has clinched the #1 seed, and the overall top winning percentage across both divisions. This team has won 15 of its last 17 games- they clearly look like the best team in the league. With a win tomorrow, this team will finish with the best team winning percentage in the Valley League since 1994. One remaining game: Waynesboro
- Harrisonburg has three remaining games: Staunton (DH), at Staunton. (I’ll be attending the DH tonight, hanging out with Joe Deck.) The deal with the last three between these two teams: If either team sweeps all three, it will finish second in the South, and the loser, if Staunton, will finish fourth. If Harrisonburg loses all three, the Turks will finish either third or fourth, depending on Waynesboro’s last game with Charlottesville. If the Turks go 2-1, it finishes second, and Staunton either third or fourth, depending on Waynesboro. If Staunton goes 2-1, it finishes second, and Turks fall to either third or fourth. We’ll know more after tonight.
- Waynesboro has one remaining game: at Charlottesville. I do not believe that the Generals can finish higher than third place now.
- Staunton has three remaining games: at Harrisonburg (DH), Harrisonburg- See the Turks explanation.
BARRING RAINOUTS, THE SOUTH PLAYOFFS WILL BEGIN ON SATURDAY, JULY 24