Our next category in the 1994-2021 Valley League record book is runs scored. For this one, we have exactly two new entries….
|Jon Love||Front Royal||2004||46|
- So our new dudes are the usual suspects- Ryan Galanie and Nate Furman. Galanie is all the way up there at #3, and Furman comes in tied at #10. Not too shabby!
- Of the 24 players on this list, six of them played for Winchester, four for Harrisonburg, three each for Waynesboro and Staunton, two for Covington, and one each for Woodstock, Front Royal, Charlottesville, Strasburg, and Haymarket. Purcellville, Luray, and New Market have been shut out.
- Eight of these guys were League MVPs- Nagle, Michaels, Timmons, Love, Spangenberg, Wielansky, Ridings, and Billings. (And, in my opinion, Kipnis should have been.)
- Five played in the major leagues- Michaels, Kipnis, Spangenberg, Pierre, and Odom.
- Seven more played in the minors- Yezzo, Timmons, Bibbs, Wielansky, Gonzalez, Ridings, and Billings.
- Let’s talk about Leo Rojas for a minute. In 2012, Rojas knocked 76 hits, walked 18 times, and was hit by a pitch five times. So he got on base 99 times, and scored 59 times, which means he scored just under 60% of the time he got on base. Out of plate appearances (239), he scored roughly a quarter of the times he walked up to the plate. Whoa. (By the way, he hit .357/.416/.540 that summer.)
- Three 2012 Winchester Royals made this list- Rojas, Yezzo, and Odom. That team scored 393 runs, the second most between the years of 1994 and 2019. The team with the most? The 1995 Staunton baseball team scored 417 runs, led by Jason Michaels with 50 and Matt Duncan with 47. (Woodstock led the 2021 regular season with 288 runs, by the way.)