- Last VBL Title- 1986, last finals appearance was in 2010
- General Managers- Donna and Dale Settle
- Head Coach- Clint Marsh- Marsh is no stranger to the Valley League; he was an assistant for Zac Cole in Waynesboro in 2021. He’s currently the Pitching Coach for North Carolina Wesleyan, and was an assistant coach at Andrew College in 2021.
- Recruiter- Dale Settle and Robbie Jones (Jones was the head coach of the Cardinals all the way back in 2002)
- Key Pro Alumni- Dominic Canzone (2017) is currently playing for Triple-A Reno (Arizona system), and Spencer Packard (2018) is crushing the ball for High-A Everett in Seattle’s system.
Front Royal made a game of it, but fell three games short of the final spot for the playoffs in the North Division in 2021. The team was led at the plate by Trent Jeffcoat, a shortstop from West Florida, who hit .324/.408/.434, and was named first team All-Valley and the 15th best hitter in the league. Sal Ferro (LIU) and Dylan White (Chicago) led the team on the mound. Ferro went 2-3, 2.89 with two saves, and White went 1-2, 3.05 as a starter. Ferro was the 11th best reliever in the league, while White was the 10th best starter.
- Trent Jeffcoat!
- Jack Cossa, Alvernia (2021)
- Sean Means, West Florida (2021)
Hitters to Watch
(Stats through Tuesday, May 10)
- Obviously, Jeffcoat at West Florida: Currently hitting .371/.462/.449 in 178 at-bats, along with 21 stolen bases.
- Riley Frost, North Georgia, a true freshman hitting .264/.361/.346 in 48 at-bats
- Dylan Swarmer, Youngstown State, a “really good defensive catcher,” according to Marsh.
- Broedy Poppell, Florida A&M, an All-State player in Florida in high school
- Dallas Hite, Penn State Harrisburg: On May 8, Hite hit three home runs in one game, including two grand slams, and tallied 10 RBIs. For the season, the junior is hitting .341/.392/.648 in 179 at-bats, with 13 doubles, 14 home runs, and 19 stolen bases.
Pitchers to Watch
- Lane Pearson, USC Sumter (Georgia Southern commit) (from Marshall, VA): Pearson has only seven walks against 37 K’s in 28 innings this spring.
- Sean Means, West Florida
- Chase Stanhope, West Florida: 0-0, 1.17 in 7 ⅔ innings
- Kevin Heinrich, Pensacola State, has a really high ceiling, according to Marsh.
- Brothers Connor and Riley Frost, both middle infielders from North Georgia, will be joining the team
- Trent Jeffcoat’s father, Mike, is the head coach at West Florida
- Jackson Arnold, a right handed pitcher from Emory & Henry, not only is a Front Royal native, but also was an intern for the Cardinals in the past. His mother also works for the team.