All five games were played last night!
- Woodstock 4, Purcellville 0: This one was all about Woodstock’s pitching, as three of them held Purcellville to three hits… and Luke Edwards got all three! The game also took less than two hours to complete. Bandits are 3-3; Cannons are 2-5.
- Charlottesville 3, Waynesboro 1: Charlottesville scored twice in the first innings- one on a Garrett Spikes groundout, the second on a Tyler Shelnut RBI double- and the staff made it hold up. Charlottesville is now 3-3; Waynesboro falls to 2-3.
- Strasburg 4, Winchester 3: The Express ran out to a 4-0 lead, partially due to Corey Robinson’s two extra base hits, and held on thanks to Carson Myers and Jacob Rosenkranz. Express are now 4-1; Royals fall to 3-4.
- Harrisonburg 8, Covington 7 (11 innings): Seaver King hit a huge three-run triple in the 7th, and Matt Kemp hit a sacrifice fly in the 11th to push the Turks past the Jacks. Both the Turks and the Jacks are 3-2.
- Front Royal 10, New Market 7: Down 7-3 after four, the Cardinals came roaring back with seven unanswered runs to grab this one. Cards are now 3-3; New Market falls to 4-3.
Hitter of the Day
The hitter of the day is Strasburg’s Corey Robinson, who went 2-3, with two runs, a double, home run, HBP, and RBI. It was his first game of the summer- nice start! (Robinson is a sophomore outfielder from the University of Florida.)
Others of Note
- Luke Edwards, Purcellville: 3-4
- Joseph Sullivan, Waynesboro: 2-3, walk
- Thad Ector, Waynesboro: 1-2, two walks, stolen base
- Jonah Cox, Strasburg: 2-4, run, BB, two stolen bases
- Henry Koehler, Strasburg: 2-4, two doubles
- Mitchell Farris, Harrisonburg: 2-6, RBI, double, triple
- Sam Schner, Harrisonburg: 2-6, two runs, RBI, double, stolen base
- Evan Wickeri, Covington: 3-6, run, RBI, stolen base
- Luke Arnold, Covington: 3-6, two runs, RBI, double, stolen base
- Nate Slocum, Covington: 2-3, RBI, double, walk
- Riley Frost, Front Royal: 3-5, two runs
- Dallas Hite, Front Royal: 1-3, run, two RBIs, two walks, home run
- Anthony Boccio, Front Royal: 1-4, two runs, RBI, walk, HBP, home run
- Khi Holiday, New Market: 2-4, run, walk, stolen base
- Bryce Fowler, New Market: 1-3, two runs, two RBIs, walk, triple, HBP, two stolen base- a little bit of everything!
- Seth Beckstead, New Market: 3-4, run, walk, two doubles, stolen base
- Garett Wallace, New Market: 2-4, three RBIs, two doubles… this is getting silly- Wallace now has 14 RBIs in seven games. The players behind him? They have seven.
Pitcher of the Day
This was an easy call- it’s Woodstock’s Christian Gordon, who fired six shutout, one-hit innings against Purcellville. He didn’t walk anyone, either, and struck out nine to earn the win and a game score of 79 (the second highest of the summer so far). A six-foot lefthander from State College of Florida, Gordon has appeared in two games so far this summer, and is 1-0, 1.12, with 11 strikeouts in eight innings. He was also drafted by the Pirates in the 2019 MLB draft, but obviously didn’t sign.
Others of Note
- Isaias Miramontes, Purcellville: Two innings, one hit, no run, no walks, four K’s
- Tyler Wilkinson, Woodstock: Two shutout innings, one hit, one walk, two K’s
- Nick Chittum, Waynesboro: Five innings, five hits, two runs, three walks, four K’s
- Bobby Olsen, Charlottesville: 4 1/3 shutout innings, two hits, three walks, five K’s (GS: 61)
- Jackson Nove, Charlottesville: Three shutout innings, one hit, no walks, one K, save
- Isaac Fix, Strasburg: Four shutout innings, one hit, four walks, five K’s
- Kyle Demi, Strasburg: Two no-hit, shutout innings, no walks, three K’s, win
- Carson Lowder, Covington: Four innings, three hits, one run, two walks, five K’s
- Nathaniel Gorczyca, Covington: Three innings, no hits, one unearned run (the runner that started on 2nd!), one walk, three K’s, loss
- Andrew Williams, Harrisonburg: Five innings, seven hits, two runs, no walks, two K’s
- Sean Culkin, Harrisonburg: 4 2/3 innings, three hits, one run, two walks, five K’s, win
- Grant Adams, Front Royal: Five innings, five hit , one run, one walks, seven K’s, win
- Woodstock (Pena) at Front Royal (Cossa), 7 PM
- New Market (Williams) at Winchester (Maresco), 7 PM
- Strasburg (Kelley) at Purcellville (Vogatsky), 7 PM
- Covington (Standen) at Staunton (Yerby), 7:30 PM
- Charlottesville (Vincent) at Harrisonburg (McClure), 7:30 PM