Three games were played last night, but the evening was anything but ordinary…
- Winchester 20, Purcellville 11: “Yes,” I said to my buddy Matt earlier yesterday, “You’re right. Hitting is down this summer.” And then this happened. The two teams combined for 31 runs and 36 hits, of which nine were doubles, four were triples, and two were home runs. To put this in perspective, all five games on Tuesday combined did not see this many runs scored. See the list below for more details. Winchester is now 10-11; Cannons are 8-14.
- Charlottesville 3, Harrisonburg 2 (10 innings): Garrett Spikes hit a walk-off RBI single in the bottom of the 10th inning to win this one. Charlottesville is now 10-9; Turks are 11-9.
- Front Royal 10, Strasburg 6: Cardinals are 8-14; Express falls to 13-9.
Hitter of the Day
In maybe the easiest call ever, the hitter of the day is Winchester’s Nathan Barraza, who hit for the first cycle in the league since Willy Escala hit a “natural” cycle on June 8, 2021. Barraza, a sophomore from Cal State Northridge, went 4-6, with four runs, four RBIs, and one single (3rd inning), double (2nd), triple (5th), and home run (4th). As you can see, he hit for the cycle in just four innings of play! In 12 games and 35 at-bats this summer, he’s now hitting .286/.405/.514.
Others of Note
- Justin Acal, Purcellville: 2-3, run, two RBIs, three walks, stolen base
- Bear Madliak, Purcellville: 2-4, run, walk, double
- Jose Torres, Purcellville: 4-5, two runs, three RBIs, two doubles
- Will Marcy, Winchester: 3-5, two runs, RBI, walk, double, triple, stolen base
- Chayce Bryant, Winchester: 3-6, two runs, two RBIs, two doubles, stolen base
- Will Long, Winchester: 2-4, two runs, two RBIs, two walks, two doubles
- Zac Rice, Winchester: 3-6, four runs, RBI, stolen base
- Dallas Hite, Front Royal: 2-5, two runs, RBI, walk, stolen base
- Drew Camp, Front Royal: 1-3, run, two walks
- Broedy Poppell, Front Royal: 3-4, two runs, two RBIs, walk, double, stolen base
- Christian Campbell, Front Royal: 2-4, run, two RBIs, walk
- Cam Clonch, Strasburg: 3-5, RBI, double
Pitcher of the Day
The pitcher of the day is Harrisonburg’s Jordan Armstrong, from Auburn, who fired four shutout innings in his VBL debut, while allowing two hits, no walks, and striking out four. It earned him a game score of 62. He struck out 40 batters in 30 innings this spring for Auburn.
Others of Note
- Brian Young, Winchester: Three innings, four hits, no runs, two walks, four K’s, win
- Casey Smith, Harrisonburg: Three innings, four hits, one unearned run, two walks, three K’s, loss
- Wyatt Lunsford-Shenkman, Charlottesville: Four shutout innings, two hits, four walks, five K’s
- Chandler Marsh, Charlottesville: Two shutout innings, one hit, two walks, four K’s
- Jack Cossa, Front Royal: Five innings, five hits, one run, two walks, five K’s, win
- New Market (Moore) at Woodstock (Wengert), 7 PM
- Front Royal (TBD) at Strasburg (Fix), 7 PM
- Waynesboro (TBD) at Staunton (TBD), 7:30 PM
- Covington (Webb) at Harrisonburg (TBD), 7:30 PM