Here we go! Six games played, one team eliminated from the playoff race…
- Charlottesville 15, Harrisonburg 4 (8 innings)(Game 1): Cole Wagner 3-run homer mercifully ended this one in the 8th inning. And then….
- Charlottesville 10, Harrisonburg 7 (Game 2): Gavin Abrams hit a walk-off in this one to bring the two clubs to an identical 24-14 record. With four games to go!
- Winchester 9, Strasburg 5: A huge win for the Royals as they continue to fight for a playoff spot in the North. Winchester is 14-22; Express fall to 21-18.
- Purcellville 8, Front Royal 5: Cannons are 16-21; Cardinals fall to 13-26.
- Woodstock 15, New Market 2 (7 innings): Bandits are 22-15; New Market falls to 19-20.
- Covington 9, Staunton 7: The Jacks eliminate Staunton from the playoff chase, and clinch the fourth spot in the South. (Jacks are 18-21; Staunton is 15-25.)
Hitter of the Day
I believe the hitter of the day is Charlottesville’s Cole Wagner, who went 3-4 in game one against Harrisonburg, with four runs, four RBIs, two walks, and a “walk-off” three-run home run (to reach the mercy rule, but still). The sophomore from Georgia is now hitting a crazy .368/.473/.594 in 106 at-bats, with 21 runs, 10 doubles, a triple, four home runs, 28 RBIs, and a solid 17/19 BB/K ratio. He’s from Pennsylvania, too, like all the best people.
Others of Note
- Christian Ficca, Harrisonburg: 2-4, run, two RBIs, double, triple (Game 1)
- Christian Martin, Charlottesville: 2-4, three runs, RBI, two walks, triple, stolen base (Game 1)
- Kalvin Alexander, Charlottesville: 2-4, two runs, three RBIs, walk, home run (Game 1)
- Trey Yunger, Charlottesville: 2-4, run, walk, stolen base (Game 1)
- Kyle Edwards, Charlottesville: 2-3, run, RBI, two walks (Game 1)
- Jonah Cox, Strasburg: 2-5, three runs, double, two stolen bases
- Ty Hooks, Strasburg: 2-3, run, three RBIs, triple
- Reed Garris, Strasburg: 2-3, run, walk
- Leighton Banjoff, Winchester: 2-4, three runs, three RBIs, walk, double
- Mitch Farris, Harrisonburg: 3-4, run, RBI, double, HBP (Game 2)
- Christian Ficca, Harrisonburg: 1-2, two runs, three walks, two stolen bases (Game 2)
- Gavin Abrams, Charlottesville: 2-5, two runs, three RBIs, home run (Game 2)
- Brody Moss, Charlottesville: 1-2, run, two walks (Game 2)
- Carlos Pineyro, Covington: 2-2, three runs, two RBIs, three walks, double, triple (in the running for POD for sure)
- Cole Ketzner, Covington: 3-4, two runs, two RBIs, walk, two doubles
- Nicolas Rodriguez, Staunton: 0-2, three runs, three walks
- David Pereira, Staunton: 2-3, RBI, two walks, stolen base
- Andrew Bennett, Staunton: 3-4, run, two RBIs, double
- Mikey Brinton, Purcellville: 2-4, two runs, RBI, walk, double
- Ryne Guida, Purcellville: 2-3, two RBIs, two walks, double
- Ryan Dooley, Purcellville: 1-2, run, two RBIs, three walks, home run, stolen base
- Jeffery Lonon, Front Royal: 3-4, run, two RBIs, stolen base
- RJ Stinson, Woodstock: 1-4, two walks, run, stolen base
- Renzo Gonzalez, Woodstock: 1-3, run, RBI, two walks
- Jack Spyke, Woodstock: 1-3, three runs, RBI, two walks, home run
- Jacoby Long, Woodstock: 1-3, three runs, two walks
- Max Galvin, Woodstock: 4-4, three runs, two RBIs, walk, double
- Frankie Ritter, Woodstock: 1-3, three RBIs, walk
- Garret Wallace, New Market: 3-4, run, RBI
Pitchers of Note
- Chandler Martin, Charlottesville: Two innings, no hits, no runs, two walks, three K’s (Game 1)
- Brett Zerbel, Winchester: 2 2/3 innings, two hits, no run, no walks, no K’s, save
- Jackson Nove, Charlottesville: Four innings, one hit, one run, two walks, four K’s (Game 2)
- Cooper Webb, Covington: 3 2/3 innings, three hits, one run, no walks, no K’s, win
- Landon Lucas, Covington: Two innings, two hits, no runs, two walks, one K, save
- Marty Neal, Staunton: Two innings, one hit, no runs, one walk, two K’s
- Dario Herrera, Woodstock: Two innings, three hits, no runs, no walks, two K’s, win
- Purcellville (Miramontes) at Winchester (TBD), NOON
- Front Royal (Jarrell) at Winchester, 5 PM
- Woodstock (Gordon) at Charlottesville (Armstrong), 7 PM
- New Market (Bautista) at Strasburg (Nored), 7 PM
- Covington (Gorczyca) at Waynesboro (TBD), 7 PM
- Staunton (TBD) at Harrisonburg (Dennies), 7:30 PM
The playoffs will begin immediately after the regular season, which is slated to end on Sunday, July 24. The top four from each Division advance, with first place playing fourth, and second place playing third, etc. All series are best of three.
- Woodstock: 22-15, five games remaining, has clinched a top three playoff spot
- Strasburg: 21-18, three games remaining, two games ahead of New Market, two games behind Woodstock. Has clinched a playoff spot- one more win or Cannon loss puts them in the top three.
- New Market: 19-20, three games remaining, two games behind Strasburg for spot #2, two ahead of Purcellville. Pretty close to clinching a playoff spot.
- Purcellville: 16-21, with five games remaining. 1.5 games ahead of Winchester, two behind New Market.
- Winchester: 14-22, six games remaining, 1.5 games out of the playoffs, and 2.5 ahead of Front Royal.
- Front Royal: 13-26, three games left, three games out of a playoff spot. Can’t get to a top three spot, but can still tie Purcellville with a winning streak.
We have a three way tie at the top! All three have clinched a playoff spot.
Harrisonburg: 24-14, four games left: Staunton, Waynesboro, @ Purcellville DH
Waynesboro: 24-14, four games left: Covington, @ Harrisonburg, @ Charlottesville, Charlottesville
Charlottesville: 24-14, four games left: Woodstock, @ Covington, Waynesboro, @ Waynesboro
- Covington: 18-21, three games left, clinched the fourth seed in the South.
- Staunton: 15-25, two games left. Eliminated from playoff contention.