Mother Nature did a number on this league yet again yesterday, wiping out four of the six games, and ending another one early. The league is considering some alternative ideas to get us to the playoffs, but we’ll see what happens.
- Woodstock 11, Winchester 5 (5 innings): Bandits are 24-15 and clinched a tie for the North title; Royals fall to 14-25.
- Charlottesville 4, Covington 0: Cville is 25-15; Jacks are 19-22.
Hitter of the Day
The HOD is the very large man (he’s 6-foot-6) Chayce Bryant, from Southeastern, who went 2-2 for Winchester. Both hits were home runs, and he drove in all five Royal runs in the game. It was the seventh multi-home run game of the summer. In total, Bryant is hitting .286/.302/.487 in 119 at-bats, with 10 doubles, a triple, and four home runs.
Others of Note
- Blake Vineyard, Winchester: 2-3, two runs, double
- RJ Stinson, Woodstock: 2-3, two runs, RBI, double, HBP
- Jack Spyke, Woodstock: 2-4, run, three RBIs, double
- Jacoby Long, Woodstock: 2-2, run, two RBIs, stolen base
- Carter Cunningham, Charlottesville: 3-4, two runs, walk
- Cole Wagner, Charlottesville: 1-3, run, two walks
- Kyle Edwards, Charlottesville: 1-2, three walks
Pitcher of the Day
Limited choices, sure, but still an excellent game; Charlottesville’s John Armstrong fired five shutout innings, allowing three hits, one walk, and striking out six to earn the win. The righty from Auburn is now 2-0, 0.00 in 15 2/3 innings, with 20 K’s. Yes, you read that correctly- no runs, earned or unearned, in almost 16 innings!
Others of Note
- Lucas Cash, Charlottesville: Four innings, two hits, no runs, one walk, three K’s, save
- Staunton (Payne) at Covington (Pavelchak), 1 PM
- Waynesboro (Hardie) at Charlottesville (Jameson), 1 PM
- Winchester (TBD) at Woodstock (TBD), 2 PM
- Harrisonburg (TBD, TBD) at Purcellville (Caple, Burke), DH, 4 PM
- Strasburg (Wakeman) at Woodstock (TBD), 7 PM
- New Market (Gustofson) at Front Royal (Fisher), 7 PM
- Charlottesville (TBD) at Waynesboro (Rossow), 7 PM
The playoffs will begin immediately after the regular season, which is slated to end on Monday, July 25 (also known as “tomorrow.”) The top four from each Division advance, with first place playing fourth, and second place playing third, etc. All series are best of three.
- Woodstock: 24-15, three games remaining, has clinched a top two playoff spot, and a tie for the division title.
- Strasburg: 22-18, two games remaining, has clinched a top two playoff spot
- New Market: 19-21, two games remaining. New Market has chosen to not participate in the playoffs.
- Purcellville: 17-21, with four games remaining. Has clinched the third spot for the playoffs.
- Winchester: 14-25, three games remaining, a half game ahead of Front Royal for the last playoff spot.
- Front Royal: 14-26, two games left. A half game out of the playoffs!
- Harrisonburg: 25-14, three games left: Waynesboro, @ Purcellville DH
2. Charlottesville: 25-15, two games left: Waynesboro, @ Waynesboro
3. Waynesboro: 24-15, three games left: @ Harrisonburg, @ Charlottesville, Charlottesville
4. Covington: 19-22, one game left, clinched the fourth seed in the South.
5. Staunton: 15-26, one game left. Eliminated from playoff contention.
- If two or more teams are tied for first place they will be designated co-champions of the Division
- For seeding, head-to-head record will be used first, then head-to-head against the top team in the Division, and so on.