Does anyone else get excited for transactions? Anyone? Bueller? (Not when VBLers are released, of course, but signed, traded, called up…)
Well, I surely do, so here are some transactions involving former Valley Leaguers:
- Jose Gomez (Front Royal 2016) was released by the Milwaukee Brewers. A 39th round draft pick in 2016, Jose actually hit pretty well in his two years of pro ball. He hit 280/372/348 in the Arizona League in 2016, and then 263/366/441 in Helena of the Pioneer League in 2017.
- Drew Rucinski (Luray 2008-2010) has been signed by the Miami Marlins. Drew has pitched in 9 games in the major leagues already, and gives the Marlins another bullpen option. He was released by the Minnesota Twins after the 2017 season.
- Nick Rickles (Luray 2010- Rucinski’s teammate!) has been resigned by the Philadelphia Phillies. Nick was a free agent after the 2017 season, but the Phils scooped him back up for anther season. Nick played with Team Israel in both the 2013 and 2017 World Baseball Classic, and has played in the Oakland A’s and Washington Nationals’ systems as well. (Nick and his wife just had their first child, by the way- congratulations!)
- Stephen Cardullo (Covington 2007) has also been resigned by his 2017 team. The Rockies gave Cardullo some MLB at-bats in both 2016 and 2017, and now he’ll be back with the organization in 2018 as well.
- Taylor Hill (Winchester 2008) has resigned with the Washington Nationals. Taylor pitched in the majors in both 2014 and 2015, but spent 2017 split between Double-A Harrisburg and Triple-A Syracuse.
- Stephen Kerr (Charles Town 2014) has been released by the Los Angeles Angels. Kerr was signed as a free agent in 2017, and hit 236/337/340 in 144 at-bats over four levels.
There are still 12 free agents out there….