Very recently, ATVL published a post checking in on the top starters from the 2017 Valley League season, so the obvious think is to follow that up with a look at the top hitters, right?
These stats are through Tuesday, April 3rd…
- Michael Wielansky, Wooster (Charlottesville): The reining league MVP is hitting 268/373/411 in 56 at-bats, with 6 doubles and a 9/5 BB/K ratio. (Wait for it to get warmer!) (Michael’s interview can be found here.)
- Brandon Quaranta, Jefferson (Strasburg): While Jefferson is off to a slow start (the team is 5-16), big Brandon is off to a 360/468/800 start in 75 at-bats. He also has 23 runs, 24 RBIs, 4 doubles, 1 triple, 9 home runs, and a 12/17 BB/K ratio. (ATVL published an update on Brandon back on March 12th.)
- Max Wood, Central Florida (Staunton): The Canadian only has been to the plate 17 times thus far, and is slashing 188/235/188.
- Trevin Esquerra, Loyola Marymount (Purcellville): The young man from San Diego (the VBL doesn’t get too many West Coasters) is hitting 212/261/404 in 104 at-bats, with 8 doubles and 4 home runs.
- Dominic Canzone, Ohio State (Front Royal): Dominic was lauded VERY highly by at least one VBL coach last summer; so far, he’s hitting 381/456/542 in 118 at-bats, with 7 doubles, 4 home runs, 25 RBIs, and a 16/17 BB/K ratio.
- Jacob Rhinesmith, Western Kentucky (New Market): Jacob is having quite the first (only?) year for the ‘Tops, as he’s hitting 339/417/643 in 115 at-bats, with 28 runs, 27 RBIs, 2 doubles, 3 triples, and 9 home runs. He also has a strong 12/18 BB/K ratio. (Jacob was featured back on March 8th)
- Luc Lipcius, Tennessee (Front Royal): Luc, who totally looks like a pro baseball player, has only batted 13 times for the Volunteers. (He’s 1-13)
- Danton Hyman, Newberry (Woodstock): Danton is back to raking for Newberry, hitting 406/503/481 in 133 at-bats, with 36 runs, 19 RBIs, 8 doubles, 1 triple, a super 21/16 BB/K ratio, and even 18 stolen bases in 24 attempts.
- Jake Washer, East Carolina (New Market): After 79 at-bats, Jake is hitting 329/443/544, with 13 runs, 18 RBIs, 6 doubles, 3 home runs, and a 16/14 BB/K ratio. (Jake was featured on March 16th)
- McClain Bradley, Wofford (Waynesboro): McClain is also off to a good start; he’s hitting 376/447/530 in 117 at-bats, with 30 runs, 21 RBIs, 2 doubles, 2 triples, 4 home runs, a 14/24 BB/K ratio, and 10 stolen bases. Nice!
- Cody Wilson, Florida Atlantic (Winchester): Cody, a pretty dynamic speed/power guy for the Royals, is hitting 236/308/481, with 6 doubles and 6 home runs in 106 at-bats.
- Richard Miller, Towson (Staunton): Richard is hitting 211/278/423 in 71 at-bats, with 4 doubles and 3 home runs. (After 26 games, Towson as a team is hitting 230/327/321. Oof.)
- Vinnie Pasquantino, Old Dominion (Charlottesville): Vinnie is hitting 294/321/441 in 102 at-bats, with 6 doubles, 3 home runs, and 22 RBIs for the Monarchs.
- Dillon Reed, Flagler (Winchester): Dillon is slashing 348/456/468 in 141 at-bats, with 33 runs, 25 RBIs, 4 doubles, 2 triples, 3 home runs, and a solid 27/29 BB/K ratio.
- (Really, #15A): Alec Aleywine, Gulf Coast College (New Market): Hitting 369/419/631 in 122 at-bats, with 26 runs, 42 RBIs, 7 doubles, 2 triples, and 7 home runs. (Alec was featured back on March 13th)
- (Really, #15B): Bruce Strickland, Felician (Covington): In 95 at-bats, Bruce is hitting 379/421/684, with 25 runs, 15 RBIs, 13 doubles, 5 triples, and 2 home runs.
There you have it- an update on the top 16 hitters from the 2017 Valley League season!