Some wacky things in the league last night- read on to learn about the triple play, walk off hits and game winning home runs….
- Waynesboro 6, Woodstock 1 (7 innings, rain shortened): Waynesboro clinched a playoff spot; Woodstock has clinched at worse (best?) a tie with Rockbridge since 2004
- Winchester 2, Charlottesville 1: Walk-off single by Michael Dodson; Royals are 1 game behind New Market, and 4 ahead of Strasburg for seed #4; Tom Sox are 1 game behind Covington and 1.5 ahead of Waynesboro for seed #2
- Strasburg 5, Harrisonburg 3: This one ended on an odd triple play- bases loaded, 0 outs, line out to right field, doubled off runner at first, threw out runner at home. A pretty rare 9-3-2 triple play. The Express isn’t eliminated from the playoff yet, but the team is still 4 games behind the 4th spot. The Turks are a game and a half behind Staunton for the 4th playoff spot in the South.
- New Market 8, Staunton 7 (12 innings): Andrew Eyster hit a solo home run in the top of the 12th, and New Market, a pretty dangerous team, is sitting in 3rd place, 1.5 games behind Front Royal and 1 game ahead of Winchester. The Braves remain 1.5 games ahead of the Turks for spot #4, and are 2 games behind Waynesboro.
- Covington at Purcellville PPD
Hitter of the Day
Our hitter of the day, for the 4th time (!!), is Staunton’s Trey Jacobs, from UNC Pembroke. Trey, who now has hit in 11 straight regular season VBL games, went 4-6, with 2 runs, a walk, and 2 doubles. He’s now hitting 385/417/639 in 122 at-bats. He’s currently 4th in batting average and 3rd in slugging.
Others of Note
- Alex Webb, Waynesboro: 1-2, 2 runs, 2 RBIs, 2 BB, HR
- Marcus Ragan, Waynesboro: 3-4, run, RBI, HBP, SB
- Joseph Bellini, Waynesboro: 1-1, run, 2 BB, 2B
- Zach Little, Harrisonburg: 3-5, RBI, 2 SB
- Austin Embler, Harrisonburg: 2-3, 2 BB, 2B, SB
- Kyle Johnson, Harrisonburg: 3-4, run, RBI
- Ryan Hogan, Strasburg: 2-3, run, BB
- Andrew Eyster, New Market: 2-5, 3 runs, 2 RBIs, BB, HR
- Andrew Kasiski, New Market: 2-5, run, 3 RBIs, HR
- Brandon Hernandez, Staunton: 4-7, 2 runs, RBI, 2 2B
- William Simoneit, Staunton: 2-4, run, 2 RBIs, 2 BB, 2B, HR
Pitcher of the Day
Another repeat offender- the POD, for the 3rd time this year, is Charlottesville’s Jared Wetherbee, from Elon! Jared threw 5 outstanding innings against Winchester, allowing only 1 hit, 0 runs, 2 walks, and striking out 8. He earned a game score of 71. This summer, Jared is 3-1, 1.06, with 44 strikeouts and only 7 hits allowed in 25 1/3 innings. Wow.
Others of Note
- Dylan Gentry, Winchester: 6 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 5 K’s
- Bryan Whitacre, Winchester: 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K’s, win
- Tyler Blomquist, Harrisonburg: 3 2/3 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 K’s
- Chris Henry, Strasburg: 4 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K’s, win
- Anthony Trovato, New Market: 3 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K’s, win
- Ryan Brewer, Staunton: 5 2/3 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 K’s
Tonight’s Games (?? Lots ‘o rain…)
- Winchester at Strasburg
- Purcellville at Front Royal
- Charlottesville at New Market
- Covington at Staunton