I have too many tabs open in my browser right now, so let’s do a quick hit post on some happenings in the minor leagues:
- Patrick Mazeika (Waynesboro 2013) was named the Eastern League’s hitter of the week for the stretch that ended on May 19th. He hit 4 home runs and drove in 15 runs in that span.
- Michael Wielansky (Charlottesville 2017) is maybe best known (in these circles) as the 2017 VBL MVP. Right now, though, he’s at Quad Cities, Houston’s Low-A squad in the Midwest League, and is currently on a 12-game on-base streak… in fact, he has been on base in every one of his games so far in 2019 (through May 20- he failed to reach base on May 21st). Michael’s hitting 297/447/432 in 37 at-bats, along with 9 walks.
- Jacob Rhinesmith (New Market 2017) is hitting well for Low-A Hagerstown. He’s at 295/390/403 in 149 at-bats, with 12 doubles, 10 stolen bases, and 21 walks (through May 20). (Maybe I’ll be able to attend one of his games later on this summer?)
- Billy Fleming (Front Royal 2012) was released by the New York Yankees in early May. Billy played in Triple-A in parts of three seasons, but never got the call to head to the Bronx. He hit 291/352/420 in 1,246 at-bats in six minor league seasons.
- Reed Garrett (New Market 2013), a Rule 5 selection of Detroit, has been returned to the Texas Rangers. Reed made his major league debut on March 29th, and after some early success, had struggled in his last 6 2/3 major league innings, giving up 13 earned runs in that stretch. He will most likely be assigned to Texas’ Triple-A team.
- Jonathan Pryor (Harrisonburg 2016) has been released by the Washington Nationals. Pryor hit 268/341/341 in 168 minor league at-bats.