Each week or so during the season, All Things Valley League will rank all the teams in the Valley League, from strongest to… well, not strongest.
The stats used are won-loss record (of course), runs scored/runs allowed, team batting average/OPS, and team ERA. Then I will include a sentence about something that caught my eye in the stats.
This is ridiculous, of course. It’s just one person’s opinion, and a team’s performance can turn on a dime, as the 2018 New Market Rebels showed.
So let’s take a look at the season’s first power rankings- stats through Sunday, June 9:
The Cream of the Crop
- Charlottesville Tom Sox: 5-1 record, 60/31 runs scored/runs allowed, 316/912 batting average/OPS, and 3.91 ERA. 60 runs in 6 games? A .912 team OPS?! This is a different Tom Sox team than we’re used to (the pitching-based squads of ’17 and ’18)- this team is crushing the ball. Kevin Madden leads the way for the murderer’s row.
- Staunton Braves: 5-2, 70/52, 289/859, 6.33. 70 runs in 7 games, the Braves are pummelling their opponents… will the pitching catch up to the hitters? Andrew Czech has 10 runs, 15 RBIs, and 8 extra base hits in 7 games.
- Waynesboro Generals: 4-2, 42/28, 268/746, 3.91. Wes Clarke is hitting a cool .500, and has 5 walks and only 1 strikeout.
- Covington Lumberjacks: 5-2, 32/26, 251/668, 3.00. The Jacks are doing it the opposite way as everyone else- with pitching. Four relievers haven’t given up an unearned run yet, and Riley Davis has thrown two excellent starts.
5. Woodstock River Bandits: 4-3, 50/46, 293/817, 6.34. A pretty ugly ERA, but the team has a .411 on-base percentage! Aidan Nagle is 13-27 with 2 home runs in 7 games.
6. Winchester Royals: 3-3, 49/45, 280/782, 6.45. Pretty similar profile to the Bandits. Jeremiah Boyd has 11 RBIs in 6 games.
7. Strasburg Express: 3-3, 40/42, 248/732, 4.45. The Express are probably better than their run differential indicates due to that 19-1 thrashing by the Braves. Cole Friese has 8 RBIs in 6 games.
The Teams That Have Work To Do
8. Harrisonburg Turks: 2-5, 35/50, 227/660, 4.45. The Turks lost a heartbreaker to the Braves by losing an 11-run lead in the 9th inning. Jacob Ferris has strated two excellent games.
9. Front Royal Cardinals: 3-5, 43/62, 235/704, 5.58. Dylan Menhennett has been on base 17 times in 8 games.
10. New Market Rebels: 2-5, 38/52, 207/621, 5.98. The Rebels are struggling on both sides of the ball so far. The staff does have 66 strikeouts in 61 2/3 innings pitched.
11. Purcellville Cannons: 1-6, 30/55, 222/709, 6.13. Like the Rebels, the Cannons are off to a slow start. Michael Brewer has been on base 14 times in 7 games.
No fans should panic just yet! Let’s see how things change over the next week… if any games are played due to the weather.