Let’s take a look at the top performances by former Valley Leaguers from the weekend of Friday, April 2, through Sunday, April 4. All thanks to the compilations and boxscores of d1baseball.com:
- Kyle Battle (Charlottesville 2017), Old Dominion: 2-4, three runs, two RBIs, two walks, double, home run. He’s now hitting .298/.447/.643 in 84 at-bats, with 26 runs scored, six doubles, a triple, seven home runs, 27 RBIs, and a superior 25 walks against only 12 strikeouts.
- Jonny Butler (Winchester 2018), NC State: 4-4, run, two RBIs, walk, two doubles. He’s hitting .339/.444/.536 in 56 at-bats, with two doubles, three home runs, a 10/14 BB/K ratio, and six stolen bases.
- Hunter Gregory (Charlottesville 2018), Old Dominion: Seven shutout innings, two hits, one walk, eight strikeouts, win, game score of 80. Gregory was a top reliever in 2018… who knows what happens in the Finals that year if he didn’t get injured? He’s now 3-0, 1.82 in 29 2/3 innings this spring, with 19 hits allowed, nine walks, and a huge 43 strikeouts.
- Christian Torres (Covington 2019), UMBC: In game one, 2-3, two runs, two walks. He’s now hitting .227/.368/.432 in 44 at-bats, with three doubles and two home runs.
- Justin Showalter (Staunton 2018-19), JMU: Five shutout innings, three hits, one walk, five strikeouts, no decision vs Charleston. This was his first outing of the year!
- Luc Lipcius (Front Royal 2017), Tennessee: 3-3, three RBIs, two walks. He’s now hitting .198/.349/.384 in 86 at-bats, with four doubles and four home runs.