The way Tuesday began, it looked like no baseball would be played. Anywhere. Ever again. But the rain cleared out, a couple fields dried up, and two games were played out of five scheduled.
- Charlottesville at Covington PPD
- Woodstock at Purcellville PPD
- Strasburg at Winchester PPD
- Staunton 3, Waynesboro 0- Weirdly, the Generals had three hits- that were all doubles??- but failed to score.
- New Market 13, Front Royal 1- New Market continues to score runs in bunches- the lineup has scored seven or more runs in five of the last eight games. I saw a bunch of good at-bats last night.
Hitter of the Day
I’m starting to feel like a broken record (or at least one that skips a lot), but our Hitter of the Day is another repeat- this time New Market’s Jackson Lancaster, who went 4-5, with a run, RBI, two doubles, and a stolen base. It was his third game in which he had four hits, and he’s now hitting a ridiculous .450/.511/.875 in 40 at-bats, with 12 runs scored, two doubles, three triples, three home runs, 12 RBIs, 5/2 BB/K, and four stolen bases. He leads the league in both batting average and slugging percentage. (He was Hitter of the Week in week two, and HOD on June 19.) I spoke to a New Market superfan (What’s up, Anna?) who conspiratorially said, “I”m starting to get Andrew Eysterish vibes…”
Others of Note
- Ryan McCarty, Staunton: 3-3, two runs, walk, double, stolen base
- Kyle Murphy, Waynesboro: 2-3, walk, two doubles
- Ian Diaz, Staunton: 2-4, run, stolen base
- Joseph Holiga, Staunton: 2-3, RBI
- Jacob Starling, New Market: 1-3, two runs, three walks, stolen base
- Tyler Robertson, New Market: 1-3, run, four RBIs, walk, triple
- Cameron Dean, New Market: 2-5, run, double
- Jordan Crawford, New Market: 3-5, three runs, three RBIs, double, home run
- James Valdivia, New Market: 2-4, run, RBI, stolen base
Pitcher of the Day
In a New Market sweep, the POD is Triston Todorowski, from Snead State, who threw 6 2/3 excellent innings against Front Royal. He allowed two hits, one unearned run, one walk, and struck out nine to earn the victory and a game score of 76. He’s now 1-0, 2.00 this summer, with two walks and 13 K’s in nine innings.
Others of Note
- Logan Clayton, Waynesboro: Five innings, six hits, one run, one walk, six K’s, loss (GS: 56)
- Jonathan Sawyers, Staunton: Three innings, no hits, no run, four walks, three K’s
- Brayden Siren, Staunton: Three innings, one hit, no runs, two walks, two K’s, win
- Jack Masloff, Staunton: Three innings, two hits, no runs, no walks, five K’s, save
- Theo Farynick, New Market: 2 1/3 innings, one hit, no runs, one walk, four K’s
- Winchester at Front Royal 7 PM
- New Market at Woodstock 7 PM
- Strasburg at Purcellville 7 PM
- Covington at Waynesboro 7 PM
- Harrisonburg at Staunton 7:30 PM