Five games on the slate last night!
- New Market 2, Front Royal 0: In a game that saw only five total hits, pitchers reined supreme. TR Williams gave up just one hit in four+ innings of work for New Market.
- Waynesboro 7, Staunton 6: No runs until the sixth, when Staunton erupted for six runs, but Waynesboro made a complete comeback over the last three innings to steal this one back.
- Purcellville 8, Woodstock 7: Cannons led 7-2 after four and just hung on to this one, as the Bandits mounted a comeback for the second game in a row. Andrew Washington got the last two outs of the eighth and finished the ninth to restore some order for Purcellville.
- Strasburg 2, Winchester 0: Odd to see such a low scoring game from these two squads. Express scored two unearned runs in the top of the first, and then rode four different arms for a four-hit shutout.
- Covington 9, Charlottesville 2: Lumberjacks blew open a tight, 3-2 game in the ninth when the first seven batters reached base, helping the ‘Jacks to an opening-night win.
Hitter of the Day
The hitter with the best stats from last night is Covington’s Cole Ketzner, from Bossier Parish, who went 3-4, with two runs, a double, and four RBIs for the ‘Jacks. Ketzner, a South Alabama commit, hit .401/.520/.655 in 177 at-bats, along with 24 doubles, seven home runs, and an excellent 37/35 BB/K for Parish this spring.
Others of Note
- Jalen Vasquez, Waynesboro: 3-4, run, two RBIs, double
- TJ Clarkson, Waynesboro: 1-3, two runs, two walks, double
- Joe Delossantos, Staunton: 3-4, run, RBI, walk, double
- Jeffrey Snider, Staunton: 1-2, run, RBI, two walks, double, HBP
- RJ Stinson, Woodstock: 1-3, run, RBI, two walks
- Tristan Moore, Woodstock: 2-3, two runs, RBI, two walks, stolen base
- Nate Chronis, Woodstock: 3-4, run
- Brady Drawbaugh, Purcellville: 3-5, two runs, RBI
- Cullen “Bear” Horowicz, Purcellville: 2-4, two runs, three RBIs, home run
- Mikey Brinton, Purcellville: 2-3, two RBIs, walk, double
- Jonah Cox, Strasburg: 2-3, run, walk, two stolen bases
- Nathan Barraza, Winchester: 2-3, walk, double
- Gavin Baird, Covington: 2-4, run, walk, double
- Cooper George, Covington: 2-4, two runs, RBI, double
Pitcher of the Day
Another day, another excellent Staunton pitcher’s outing. On this night it was Nathan Knowles, from William & Mary, who threw six shutout innings against Waynesboro, allowing only two hits and one walk while striking out seven. He earned a game score of 74, the highest on the night (and season so far). He went 2-2, 5.81 with 22 strikeouts in 26 1/3 innings this spring.
Others of Note
- TR Williams, New Market: Four shutout innings, one hit, one walk, five K’s (Game score: 64)
- Kelsey Ward, Waynesboro: Four no-hit, shutout innings, four walks, five K’s (GS: 63)
- Jarrett Maresco, Winchester: Six innings, four hits, two unearned runs, one walk, four K’s (GS: 63)
- Jack Cossa, Front Royal: 6 1/3 innings, two hits, two runs (one earned), four walks, two K’s (GS: 61). I had a delightful conversation with Cossa’s parents during his outing; they live in my old hometown!
- Robert Kelley, Strasburg: Five shutout innings, three hits, two walks, two K’s, win (GS: 61)
- Jett Jackson, New Market: Three no-hit, shutout innings, two walks, one K
- Daulton Montagna, Waynesboro: 2 1/3 shutout innings, no hits, no walks, five K’s, win
- Alik Avila, Woodstock: Two shutout innings, no hits, one walk, three K’s
- Layton DeLoach, Strasburg: Two shutout innings, one hit, one walk, three K’s
- Nathaniel Gorczyca, Covington: Two shutout innings, two hit, no walks, four K’s
- Drew Bryan, Charlottesville: Two shutout innings, no hits, one walk, one K
- Tom Vincent, Charlottesville: Four innings, two hits, one unearned run, one walk, five K’s (GS: 60)
- New Market (Mendoza) at Front Royal (Warunek), 7 PM
- Harrisonburg (Bufford) at Waynesboro (Mortenson), 7 PM
- Charlottesville (Horvat) at Covington (Potter), 7 PM
- Woodstock (Wengert) at Strasburg (Ouderkirk), 7 PM
- Winchester (Cohen) at Purcellville (Quinichett), 7 PM