Weather-related issues tried to steal our joy, they really did, but in the end, baseball prevailed. Two doubleheaders were postponed, but three went on, giving us six games!
- New Market at Charlottesville, PPD to June 28
- Covington at Purcellville, PPD to June 28
- Waynesboro 3, Woodstock 2
- Woodstock 1, Waynesboro 0: Bandits and Generals split their doubleheader behind strong pitching on both sides- there were 18 totals hits in all 14 innings. Waynesboro grabbed game one behind Kelsey Ward’s strong start, and the Bandits took game two behind a combined three-hit shutout by Jacob Faivre, Ryan Bradarich, and Kelan Hoover.
- Winchester 6, Staunton 4
- Winchester 7, Staunton 0: The Royals swept this one, with much thanks going to Will Marcy on the offensive end and Danny Thompson’s excellent game two start on the defensive end.
- Strasburg 4, Harrisonburg 2
- Strasburg 4, Harrisonburg 3 (8 innings): Haden Raymer’s game report is all you need to read on this sweep.
Hitter of the Day
The best hitter on this night is Winchester’s Will Marcy, from NC State, who went 3-4 with two runs, three RBIs, a home run and stolen base in game one, and 2-4, with three RBIs and a double in game two. He’s off to a grand start to the summer, as he’s slashing .444/.444/.778 after four games. (Following the Jonny Butler NC State to Winchester pipeline I see…)
Others of Note
- Joseph Sullivan, Waynesboro: 2-3, run, RBI, double, home run (Gm 1)
- Joe Delossantos, Staunton: 1-3, three-run HR (Gm 1)
- Nicolas Rodriguez, Staunton: 2-2, run, walk (Gm 1)
- Leighton Banjoff, Winchester: 2-3, two runs, RBI, triple, stolen base (Gm 1)
- Chase Nixon, Winchester: 1-2, run, two walks, two stolen bases (Gm 2)
- Nathan Barraza, Winchester: 2-3, two runs, RBI, walk (Gm 2)
- Colton Ryals, Winchester: 1-1, two walks, (Gm 2)
- Corey Robinson, Strasburg: 2-4, double (Gm 1)
- Corey Robinson, Strasburg: 2-3, run, RBI, walk, double, stolen base (Gm 2)
- Christian Ficca, Harrisonburg: 1-2, home run, two walks (Gm 1)
- Armando Albert, Strasburg: 2-4, two runs, double (Gm 2)
- Zack Austin, Strasburg: 3-3, run, RBI, home run, stolen base (Gm 2)
- Matt Kemp, Harrisonburg: 2-3, RBI, walk, double (Gm 2)
Pitcher of the Day
The POD is Winchester’s Danny Thompson, from North Carolina Wesleyan, who threw six outstanding innings against Staunton in game two while allowing one hit, three walks, and striking out seven. He earned the win and a game score of 75 (4th best of the summer). On the season so far, he’s 1-0, 1.80 in 10 innings, with four hits, five walks, and 11 K’s. Thompson struck out 87 batters in 68 innings this spring, too.
Others of Note
- Kelsey Ward, Waynesboro: 4 2/3 innings, two hits, one run, two walks, five K’s, win (GS: 59) (Gm 1)
- Gavin Mortenson, Waynesboro: Five innings, four hits, one run, no walks, six K’s, loss (GS: 61) (Gm 2)
- Jacob Faivre, Woodstock: Two shutout innings, one hit, no walks, two K’s
- Ryan Bradarich, Woodstock: Two shutout innings, one hit, no walks, one K
- Kelan Hoover, Woodstock: Three shutout innings, one hit, no walks, three K’s, win
- Luke Payne, Staunton: Three innings, two hits, one unearned run, one walk, three K’s (Gm 1)
- Jake Cohen, Winchester: Six innings, five hits, three runs, one walk, six K’s (GS: 55) (Gm 1)
- Mitchell Farris, Harrisonburg: Four innings, one hit, three unearned runs, four walks, four K’s, loss (GS: 55) (Gm 1)
- Daniel Ouderkirk, Strasburg: Four innings, four hits, two runs, two walks, seven K’s (GS: 51) (Gm 2)
- Zachary Mallia, Strasburg: Two innings, one hit, no runs, one walk, three K’s (Gm 2)
- Jake Wolf, Harrisonburg: 2 2/3 innings, one hit, no runs, one walk, one K (Gm 2)
- Strasburg (Ponder) at Purcellville (Quinichett), 7 PM
- Charlottesville (Horvat) at Staunton (TBD), 7:30 PM