Staunton players sweep the nightly awards after blasting Charlottesville, and the Cannons get a big win….
- Staunton 12, Charlottesville 3: Joe Delossantos had, arguably, the best hitting night of the summer so far, and Wesley Arrington was dynamite on the mound (see below for more info on both) to lead Staunton to a runaway win over Charlottesville. Staunton is 4-5; Charlottesville is 3-5.
- Purcellville 8, Strasburg 3: The Cannons battered the Express at home, with three pitchers holding down the Strasburg offense. The Cannons are now 3-6; Strasburg falls to 7-2.
Hitter of the Day
Staunton’s Joe Delossantos (William & Mary) was an easy choice, as he exploded last night, going 4-5, with three runs, two doubles, a home run, a stolen base, and five RBIs to seemingly wallop Charlottesville single-handedly. Delossantos is now hitting .417/.475/.889 in 36 at-bats, with five doubles, four home runs, and 14 RBIs this summer. He’s fourth in batting average, and tied for first in both home runs and RBIs. This is his second hitter of the day award already, too; he had a double and home run back on June 7.
Others of Note
- Hunter Teplanszky, Charlottesville: 1-3, run, two walks, double, stolen base
- Jeffrey Snider, Staunton: 1-4, three runs, RBI, two walks
- Nicolas Rodriguez, Staunton: 3-5, three runs, two RBIs, walk, double
- Michael Robertson, Staunton: 2-4, run, walk
- Wyatt Miles, Purcellville: 3-4, two runs, two RBIs, double
- Jose Torres, Purcellville: 2-2, two runs, walk, HBP
Pitcher of the Day
Staunton sweeps our awards, as the POD is middle reliever Wesley Arrington, from Lynchburg University, who fired five shutout innings while allowing only two hits and one walk and striking out four. This was his second outing of the season so far; he’s 1-0, 7.36 in 7 1/3 innings. (Arrington is from Keswick, VA, and went to The Covenant School in Charlottesville.)
Others of Note
- Cade Dressler, Staunton: Three shutout innings, one hit, two walks, four K’s, save
- Lucas Hartman, Strasburg: 2 1/3 shutout innings, no hits, no walks, three K’s
- Agyei Quinichett, Purcellville: Three innings, four hits, one run, three walks, five K’s
- Dalton Ross, Purcellville: Four innings, five hits, two runs, no walks, seven K’s, win
- Tyler Muscar, Purcellville: Two innings, no hits, no runs, one walk, six K’s (all outs by strikeouts!)
- Waynesboro (Batcher, Blackwell) at Covington (Guerrero, Potter), DH, 4, 7 PM- ** Note: These are nine inning games.**
- Front Royal (Schultz) at Strasburg (Sharp), 7 PM
- Purcellville (Reid) at Woodstock (TBD), 7 PM
- Harrisonbrug (J. McClure) at Staunton (LaRue), 7:30 PM
- Winchester (Zerbel) at New Market (Blantz), 7:30 PM