Five more games were played yesterday… and ten are on tap for tonight!
Results from Saturday, June 18
- Staunton 7, Waynesboro 6: Taking advantage of four Generals errors, Staunton snapped a four-game losing streak by hanging on to the win. The Generals loaded the bases in the bottom of the ninth, but Marty Neal closed the door to save it. Staunton is 5-9; Waynesboro falls to 6-6.
- Harrisonburg 13, Covington 1 (7 innings): The Turks pounded the Jacks with four runs in the first, four more in the second, and five in the fifth to mercy rule this one. Turks are 7-5; Jacks fall to 4-7.
- Woodstock 11, Front Royal 3: The Bandits took advantage of an astonishing 16 walks in this one to win going away. Weird stat of the night: there were 25 total walks, and only 11 total hits. Woodstock is now 9-5; Front Royal falls to 5-7.
- Purcellville 7, Strasburg 2: Ho hum, “just” another outstanding start from Joe Vogatsky to help the Cannons win this one. Purcellville is now 5-8; Strasburg falls to 9-5.
- New Market 6, Winchester 5: A close one! Down 5-1 through six, New Market clawed its way back into this one. Still down one in the bottom of the ninth, Bryce Fowler singled in both Khi Holiday (whose speed is amazing to watch) and Edwin Martinez Pagani to walk this one off. New Market is 7-6; Winchester falls to 7-7.
Hitter of the Day
The hitter with the best stats from these games is Woodstock’s Justin Wachs, from Nova Southeastern, who went 2-4, with two runs, two walks, a home run, and four RBIs. Wachs is now hitting .286/.467/.429 in 21 at-bats this summer.
Others of Note
- TJ Clarkson, Waynesboro: 2-3, RBI, walk (Leads the league in batting average at .407)
- Joseph Sullivan, Waynesboro: 1-2, two runs, RBI, two walks, and a ripped home run to right center. It just sounded different.
- Sam Schner, Harrisonburg: 2-4, two runs, walk, two RBIs
- Mitchell Farris, Harrisonburg: 1-2, three runs, two walks
- Jaylon Lee, Harrisonburg: 2-4, two runs, walk, stolen base, three RBIs (Tied for fourth in the league in RBIs with 11)
- Bradley Bott, Harrisonburg: 1-1, run, two walks, stolen base, two RBIs
- Kyle Ashworth, Woodstock: 0-1, run, five walks
- Carlton Harper, Front Royal: 2-3, RBI, walk
- Jonah Cox, Strasburg: 3-4, RBI
- Armando Albert, Strasburg: 0-1, run, three walks
- Cullen Horowicz, Purcellville: 2-4, two doubles, two RBIs (Tied for fourth in RBIs with 11)
- Ryne Guida, Purcellville: 2-3, run, walk
- Dom Popa, New Market: 2-3, two runs, RBI, walk
- Eli Burwash, New Market: 0-1, run, three walks, stolen base
- Bryce Fowler, New Market: 1-4, walk-off two-run single
Pitcher of the Day
For the second time already, the POD is Winchester’s Jake Cohen, from Pensacola State. Cohen threw six excellent innings against New Market, allowing only three hits, one run and two walks, while striking out ten (for a game score of 70). He is now 2-0, 2.36 in 19 innings, with 11 hits, three walks, and 29 strikeouts. He has the league’s only two 10+ strikeout outings, and he leads the league in strikeouts by almost 50%. He was POD on June 5 as well!
Others of Note
- Luke Payne, Staunton: Two shutout innings, one hit, one walk, no K’s
- Mitch Hellums, Staunton: Two no-hit, shutout innings, one walk, five K’s, win
- David Rossow, Waynesboro: 2 1/3 innings, one hit, one unearned run, two walks, one K
- Zach Locke, Waynesboro: Two clean innings, two K’s
- Matt Kleinfelter, Harrisonburg: 6 1/3 innings, three hits, one run, four walks, five K’s, win (GS: 64)
- Stephen Pena, Woodstock: Four no-hit, shutout innings, four walks, five K’s, win
- Parker Wakeman, Strasburg: Four innings, four hits, two runs, one earned, no walks, three K’s, loss
- Billy Rozakis, Strasburg: 2 2/3 innings, one hit, no runs, no walks, two K’s
- Joe Vogatsky, Purcellville: Six innings, three hits, one run, two walks, five K’s, win (GS: 65)
- Dalton Ross, Purcellville: 2 1/3 innings, two hits, no runs, two walks, two K’s
- Eric Gustofson, New Market: Two innings, two hits, one unearned run, no walks, four K’s
- Purcellville (Burke, Evans) at Charlottesville (Halladay, TBD), 4 PM and 6 PM
- New Market (Mendoza, Blantz) at Waynesboro (Ward, Mortenson), 4 PM and 6 PM
- Covington (Potter, Lucas) at Front Royal Cossa, Schultz), 4:30 PM and 6:30 PM
- Strasburg (Ursitti, Finnvold) at Staunton (Cook, Barker), 4:30 PM and 6:30 PM
- Winchester (Thompson, Maresco) at Harrisonburg (L.McClure, Farris), 5:30 PM and 7:30 PM