Four games played last night- let’s take a look:
- Winchester at Purcellville PPD
- Woodstock 11, Front Royal 5: Down 2-0 in the third, Renzo Gonzalez ripped a two-run double, and the Bandit bats were ALIVE. It was all downhill from there. Bandits are 10-6; Front Royal falls to 6-10.
- Staunton 9, Harrisonburg 0: The Staunton bullpen, well, Nathan Knowles and Miles Hellums, pitched seven perfect innings to shut down the Turk lineup. Andrew Bennett’s average went down to .478 after his 2-5 performance. Staunton is 6-11; Turks fell to 10-7.
- New Market 7, Strasburg 3: A combined 11 errors! Anyway, New Market’s Mason Moore threw a solid four innings, Hayden Donahue threw two shutout innings in relief, and Khi Holiday and Peyton Parker had a combined five hits and five stolen bases. NM is 8-8; Express fall to 11-6.
- Waynesboro 10, Charlottesville 2: Tanner Garrison hit a grand slam in the very first inning, and that was all the General offense needed. JC Toro wasn’t going to be outdone, though, so he fired four no-hit innings as the Waynesboro starter. Waynesboro is now 11-7; Charlottesville is 9-6.
Hitter of the Day
As mentioned above, Renzo Gonzalez had a night, going 4-6 with a run, double, and four RBIs. Through five games this summer, the freshman from Miami is hitting .429/.500/.476. Not a bad start!
Others of Note
- Hunter Smith, Woodstock: 1-3, three runs, RBI, two walks, stolen base
- Frankie Ritter, Woodstock: 2-2, three runs, two RBIs, walk, double, HBP
- Drew Camp, Front Royal: 3-5, two runs, RBI, double, stolen base
- Connor Frost, Front Royal: 2-3, RBI, walk, HBP
- Andrew Bennett, Staunton: 2-5, three runs
- Nicolas Rodriguez, Staunton: 2-4, three runs, RBI, stolen base
- John Siebert, Staunton: 1-2, run, three RBIs, two walks
- Khi Holiday, New Market: 3-4, two runs, two stolen bases
- Peyton Parker, New Market: 2-4, two runs, three RBIs, walk, three stolen bases
- Eli Burwash, New Market: 2-3, two runs, walk, double
- Trey Cruz, 0-2, three walks
- TJ Clarkson, Waynesboro: 2-5, two runs, walk, stolen base
- Matt Ruiz, Waynesboro: 1-3, three runs, RBI, two walks, stolen base
- Tanner Garrison, Waynesboro: 1-3, five RBIs, run, grand slam, HBP
- Miguel Useche, Waynesboro: 1-2, three walks, stolen base
- Matthew Prevesk, Charlottesville: 1-2, two walks
Pitcher of the Day
Our pitcher of the day, making his summer debut for Waynesboro, is Faulkner’s JC Toro. Toro threw four no-hit, shutout innings, walked one and struck out five. He struck out 90 batters in 90 2/3 innings at Faulkner this spring.
Others of Note
- Luke Payne, Staunton: Two shutout innings, two hits, one walk, no K’s
- Nathan Knowles, Staunton: Three perfect innings, two K’s, win
- Miles Hellums, Staunton: Four perfect innings, one K, save
- Matthew Gainer, Harrisonburg: 5 2/3 innings, six hits, five runs, one earned, one walk, three K’s, loss
- Layton DeLoach, Strasburg: 2 2/3 innings, two hits, no runs, no walks, six K’s
- Mason Moore, New Market: Four innings, four hits, one run, no walks, four K’s
- Hayden Donahue, New Market: Two shutout innings, one hit, one walk, three K’s, win
- JD Price, Waynesboro: Three innings, one hit, no runs, two walks, three K’s
- Strasburg (Kelley) at Front Royal (TBD), 7 PM
- Harrisonburg (TBD) at Waynesboro (Adams), 7 PM
- Woodstock (TBD) at Purcellville (TBD), 7 PM
- Staunton (Cook) at Covington (Long), 7 PM
- Winchester (Goforth) at New Market (Johnson), 7:30 PM