There were so many cancellations and overall changes to the schedule that the “Live Scoreboard” page on Pointstreak crashed, never to be seen again. (This happened once last year, too. It’s gone, folks.) We have five games postponed, and then multiple time changes with other games… I felt like I was logging on the Pointstreak backend about every five minutes there for a while.
Anyway, the five that were played:
- Covington 5, Woodstock 1: Bandits fall to 12-7, Jacks are 8-10. Game 2 was postponed.
- New Market 6, Staunton 2 (Game 1)
- Waynesboro 11, Front Royal 1 (5 innings) (Game 1)
- Waynesboro 9, Front Royal 6 (Game 2): Gens are 15-7, Cards fall to 6-14.
- Staunton 6, New Market 3 (Game 2): Staunton is 7-14; New Market is 10-10.
Hitter of the Day
The hitter of the day is Waynesboro’s Garrett Bogart, who went 2-2, with two runs, a double, home run, and four RBIs. The catcher from Embry-Riddle is now 4-19 on the summer, with three home runs and a whopping 10 RBIs (more than an RBI per half at-bat!). He hit .275/.397/.425 at school this spring with…. three home runs. (Garrett’s brother Austin played for Zac Cole in New Market in 2017 and 2018- winning the VBL title in ’18.)
Others of Note
- Luke Arnold, Covington: 3-3, two runs, double
- John Urena, Covington: 3-3, run, RBI, home run, stolen base
- Ryan Peterson, Staunton: 3-3, run, two RBIs, home run (Gm 1)
- Matt Cedarburg, Waynesboro: 2-2, two runs, walk (Gm 1)
- Edrick Felix, Waynesboro: 2-2, three runs, walk, double, stolen base (Gm 1)
- Drew Camp, Front Royal: 3-4, two runs, two RBIs, double (Gm 2)
- Noah Carter, Front Royal: 2-3, two RBIs, walk (Gm 2)
- Kelsey Caras, Waynesboro: 2-2, run, two RBIs, walk (Gm 2)
Pitcher of the Day
The pitcher of the day is New Market’s Blayne Deaton, who fired a complete game against Staunton (7 innings), allowing four hits, two runs, one walk, and striking out five. He earned the win and a game score of 65. On the summer so far, he’s 2-1, 4.19, with 18 K’s min 19 1/3 innings. The huge righthander (he’s 6-foot-6) from Indiana was academic All-Big Ten in 2021. (By the way, Deaton is the first player from Indiana University since Woodstock had three players from the school in 2016.)
Others of Note
- Aaron Potter, Covington: Six innings, five hits, one run, one walk, four K’s, win (Game score: 61)
- Kelsey Ward, Waynesboro: Three innings, no hits, no runs, one walk, seven K’s, win (GS: 65) (Gm 1)
- David Rossow, Waynesboro: Two innings one hit, no runs, one walk, four K’s, win (Gm 2)
- Miles Hellums, Staunton: Three innings, no hits, no runs, one walk, six K’s, win (Gm 2) (GS: 64)
- Woodstock (Hoover) at Winchester (Warren), **** 5 PM ****
- Purcellville (Caple) at Front Royal (Fisher), 7 PM
- Staunton (Barker) at Harrisonburg (TBD), 7:30 PM
- Strasburg (Ursitti) at New Market (Jackson), 7:30 PM