I hope you’re enjoying the July 4th weekend, Brilliant Reader! There were four games last night, and a full ten games today, so get out there and watch some baseball if you’re so inclined.
- Harrisonburg 6, Waynesboro 4: The Turks upend Waynesboro for the second time in two nights, pulling within two games of the league-leading Generals. Down 4-3 in the eighth, Jaylon Lee hit a two-run bomb to put the Turks up, while Jake DeLisi threw four no-hit innings to get the win. Generals are 16-9; Turks are 13-10.
- Covington 7, Charlottesville 3: Tied at three in the seventh, Covington’s Nate Stocum hit a grand slam to put Charlottesville away. Don’t look now (well, I mean, look if you want to), but the Jacks are 11-11 and playing some really good baseball. Charlottesville drops to 10-11 and falls to fourth place in the South.
- Front Royal 7, Winchester 2: Michael Schultz threw the whole game for the Cardinals, albeit the game ended with two outs in the seventh because of lightning. The Front Royal lineup took full advantage of seven walks. Cards are 10-15; Royals fall to 11-12.
- New Market 9, Strasburg 8: Another comeback! Down 8-5 in the eighth, New Market came roaring back, getting a three-run home run by Kyle Joye in that eighth, and then Khi Holiday singled to lead off the ninth and came around to score on a Bryce Fowler double. The North is shaping up to be an exciting race; Woodstock, New Market, and Strasburg are all within one game. NM is 15-11; Express fall to 14-11.
Hitter of the Day
The hitter of the day is Charlottesville’s Christian Martin, from Virginia Tech. Martin went 4-5, with two runs and a double. He has appeared in six games this summer, and is hitting .333/.333/.375 in 24 at-bats. The freshman went 12-46 in the spring with the Hokies.
Others of Note
- TJ Williams, Harrisonburg: 3-5, two runs, RBI, double, home run
- Jaylon Lee, Harrisonburg: 2-4, two runs, two RBIs, triple, home run
- Cole Ketzner, Covington: 2-3, run, two walks
- Nate Stocum, Covington: 1-3, two runs, four RBIs, grand slam, two walks
- Cole Wagner, Charlottesville: 3-3, RBI, walk, double
- Dean Bittner, Winchester: 1-2, run, two walks
- Noah Carter, Front Royal: RBI, three walks
- Khi Holiday, New Market: 1-3, two runs, two walks
- Bryce Fowler, New Market: 3-5, run, RBI, double
- Kyle Joye, New Market: 1-4, two runs, four RBIs, HBP, home run
- Trey Cruz, New Market: 1-2, run, three RBIs, home run, HBP
- Brayton Brown, Strasburg: 1-3, run, two RBIs, home run, HBP
- Zane Denton, Strasburg: 2-4, three RBIs, walk
- Armando Albert, Strasburg: 1-3, three runs, RBI, two walks, double, stolen base
Pitcher of the Day
It’s a Virginia Tech Saturday sweep: our POD is Strasburg’s Tyler Dean, who threw 3 1/3 dominant innings, allowing no hits or runs, walked one, and struck out five (comes out to a game score of 64). Dean has been lights out for the Express so far; he’s 1-0, 0.00 in 7 1/3 total innings, with one hit, three walks, and 12 strikeouts. He threw four innings for the Hokies this spring.
Others of Note
- Jake DeLisi, Harrisonburg: Four no-hit, shutout innings, one walk, two K’s, win (GS: 63)
- Jack Carver, Covington: Three shutout innings, three hits, no walks, six K’s, save (GS: 59)
- Avery Stephens, Winchester: 2 2/3 shutout innings, one hit, two walks, two K’s
- Evan Byers, New Market: 2 2/3 shutout innings, no hits, one walk, three K’s
Today’s Games- it’s Doubleheader Day!
- Charlottesville (Bice, Bryan) at Winchester (Davies, Lyons), 2:30 PM, 5 PM
- Staunton (Yerby, Hellums) at Woodstock (Hoopes, Wilkinson), 3 PM, 5 PM
- Harrisonburg (Farris, Gainer) at Front Royal (Fisher, Ponder), 4:30 PM, 6:30 PM
- New Market (Deaton, Jackson) at Covington (Potter, Lucas), 5 PM, 7 PM
- Waynesboro (Ward, Mortenson) at Purcellville (Reid, Caple), 5 PM, 7 PM