What a day for baseball, and folks… a ton of baseball was played. Ten games, thanks to five doubleheaders! And folks, I believe we’ve seen a little bit of everything on this day. Walk off balks, tons of ejections, shutouts, ties… ties? Yeah, ties.
- Woodstock 2, Staunton 1 (Gm 1): Bandits pushed two runs across in the third, largely thanks to an error on a bunt, and the relievers just hung on- Staunton had the bases loaded in the bottom of the seventh. Great start by Kelan Hoover! (And Ryan Yerby, too.)
- Charlottesville 7, Winchester 3 (Gm 1): Emmett Bice fired six shutout innings, and Garrett Spikes and Carter Cunningham combined to go 7-7 with five runs scored.
- Harrisonburg 1, Front Royal 0 (Gm 1): In the second, Jaylon Lee reached on an error, and came around on Mitch Farris’s double. That was all Matthew Gainer and Evan Smith needed.
- Woodstock 3, Staunton 0 (Gm 2): Woodstock is just showing off the pitching now- Tyler Wilkinson threw a complete game shutout. Bandits are 16-9; Staunton falls to 8-18.
- New Market 6, Covington 4 (Gm 1): Well. There are many, um, “stories” swirling around this one. Five players and two spectators were ejected… at this point, I’ll just say New Market takes game one.
- Waynesboro 5, Purcellville 2 (Gm 1): Kelsey Ward threw an excellent five innings, and Tyler Borges was sprinting around the bases twice- he had a double and triple.
- Charlottesville 2, Winchester 0 (Gm 2): This one belonged to Drew Bryan, who fired five shutout innings to help Charlottesville sweep the Royals. Charlottesville is 12-11; Royals fall to 11-14.
- Harrisonburg 9, Front Royal 0 (Gm 2): The Turks swept the Royals by a combined 10-0. Seaver King had a rocking game at the plate, and Logan McClure threw five shutout innings. Turks are 15-01; Cardinals fall to 10-17.
- Waynesboro 4, Purcellville 4 ***TIE*** (Gm 2): Yep, you read that correctly. In the bottom of the eighth inning, the home plate umpire was hit by a backswing and had to leave the game. The teams decided to call this one a tie. Generals are 17-9-1; Cannons are 8-16-1 (By the way, the last official tie in the VBL happened all the way back in 2007 between Waynesboro and the now-defunct Haymarket Senators. Fifteen years!)
- Covington 10, New Market 9 (8 innings) (Gm 2): Luke Arnold, the ITB baserunner, scored on a balk in the bottom of the eighth in this seesaw affair. New Market was one out from a win in regulation until Nate Stocum hit an RBI single to tie it up. With the split, New Market is 16-13, and the Lumberjacks are 13-12.
Hitter of the Day
Have a day, Carter Cunningham! The senior from East Carolina went a combined 6-6 in Charlottesville’s two victories, along with four runs scored (out of nine total for the team), a double, walk, and two RBIs. For the summer so far, he’s hitting .474/.565/.684 in 19 at-bats. Not too shabby of a start! From Haymarket, Virginia, Cunningham hit .227/.317/.386 for the Pirates this spring.
Others of Note
- Garrett Spikes, Charlottesville: 4-4, two runs, two RBIs, double, home run (Gm 1)
- Trent Jeffcoat, Front Royal: 3-4, three stolen bases (Gm 1)
- Justin Wachs, Woodstock: 2-2, two runs, walk, double (Gm 2)
- Jose Hernandez, Woodstock: 1-1, run, two walks (Gm 2)
- Khi Holiday, New Market: 2-3, three runs, walk, stolen base (Gm 1)
- Bryce Fowler, New Market: 2-3, run, three RBIs (Gm 1)
- Tyler Borges, Waynesboro: 2-4, run, double, triple, RBI (Gm 1)
- Ryne Guida, Purcellville: 2-2, run, walk (Gm 1)
- Seaver King, Harrisonburg: 2-4, three runs, two RBIs, walk, double, triple (Gm 2)
- Michael Rosario, Harrisonburg: 2-4, run, two RBIs, walk, double (Gm 2)
- Mitch Farris, Harrisonburg: 3-4, two runs, RBI, double (Gm 2)
- Matthew Mamatas, Harrisonburg: 3-4 (Gm 2)
- Jalen Vasquez, Waynesboro: 2-3, run, three RBIs, home run (Gm 2)
- Justin Acal, Purcellville: 2-3, two RBIs, walk (Gm 2)
- Khi Holiday, New Market: 2-4, run, walk (Gm 2)
- Bryce Fowler, New Market: 2-2, run, three walks (Gm 2)
- Kyle Joye, New Market: 2-4, two runs, walk, double (Gm 2)
- Dom Popa, New Market: 2-4, run, RBI, walk, double (Gm 2)
- Zach Shertzer, New Market: 1-2, run, RBI, two walks (Gm 2)
- Evan Wickeri, Covington: 1-2, two runs, two walks (Gm 2)
- John Schroeder, Covington: 3-3, two runs, two RBIs, walk, double, HBP (Gm 2)
- Nate Slocum, Covington: 3-4, four RBIs, walk, double
Pitcher of the Day
The pitcher of the day is none other than Woodstock’s Tyler Wilkinson, from West Virginia Tech, who fired a complete game shutout against Staunton. He allowed only two hits, didn’t walk anyone, and struck out six. He obviously earned the win and a game score of 79- tied for the third best of the summer. He’s now 2-4, 1.02 in 26 1/3 innings, with 22 baserunners and 18 K’s.
Others of Note
- Ryan Yerby, Staunton: Six innings, six hits, two runs, one earned, two walks, four K’s, loss (GS: 56) (Gm 1)
- Kelan Hoover, Woodstock: Four shutout innings, one hit, one run, four K’s, win (GS: 63) (Gm 1)
- Emmett Bice, Charlottesville: Six shutout innings, two hits, two walks, seven K’s, win (GS: 73) (Gm 1)
- Matthew Gainer, Harrisonburg: Three innings, two hits, no runs, four walks, four K’s (GS: 55) (Gm 1)
- Evan Smith, Harrisonburg: Four innings, three hits, no runs, two walks, four K’s, win (Gm 1)
- Bryce Fisher, Front Royal: Six innings, five hits, one unearned run, one walk, four K’s, loss (GS: 63) (Gm 1)
- Garrett Bonnett, Covington: 3 2/3 innings, no hits, no runs, two walks, two K’s (Gm 1)
- Kelsey Ward, Waynesboro: Five innings, four hits, one run, one walk, seven K’s, win (GS: 61) (Gm 1)
- Drew Bryan, Charlottesville: Five shutout innings, two hits, one walk, six K’s, win (GS: 68) (Gm 2)
- Logan McClure, Harrisonburg: Five shutout innings, four hits, no walks, three K’s, win (GS: 61) (Gm 2)
- Sammy Cooper, Harrisonburg: Two shutout innings, no hits, no walks, three K’s (Gm 2)
- Orlando Hernandez, Waynesboro: Three innings, one hit, one unearned run, one walk, six K’s (Gm 2)
Enjoy the fourth, everyone!
- Waynesboro (Batcher) at Charlottesville (Yesavage), 6 PM (Can we have a normal game, guys? Please? Guys? Hello?)