Four games were played last night- no rainouts!
Take a look at the league standings, Brilliant Reader- we have what appears to be four races among our 11 teams. First of all, for the North title, Strasburg, Woodstock, and New Market are all within a game and half. In the South, Harrisonburg, Waynesboro, and Charlottesville are all within two games for the top spot. Then, in the North, three teams- Front Royal, Purcellville, and Winchester- are virtually tied for the last playoff spot. In the South, Covington and Staunton are coming down to the wire for the last playoff spot- the Jacks are a game and a half ahead at this point. Literally no one is out of the pennant race with roughly ten days to go!
I won’t be attending games today as I’ll be working on the All-Star stat packet all day instead. I got three teams done last night, but have eight to go. Shall I tweet my progress? Hah.
- Harrisonburg 10, Charlottesville 0 (8 innings): Turks are 20-11; Charlottesville falls to 18-13
- Waynesboro 11, Covington 6: Gens are 21-12-1; Jacks fall to 14-19
- Strasburg 8, Purcellville 6: Express are 19-13; Cannons 12-20-1
- New Market 8, Front Royal 3: NM is 19-15; Cardinals are 13-22
Hitter of the Day
Our HOD is Purcellville’s Ryne Guida, from Florida International, who went 3-5, with two runs, a home run, and three RBIs. The all-star is hitting .347/.372/.403 in 72 at-bats this summer. He’s hit safely in 15 of his 20 games played thus far. He played at St. Johns River State in 2022, where he hit .341/.437/.605 in 129 at-bats, with seven doubles and nine home runs.
Others of Note
- Sam Schner, Harrisonburg: 2-3, three runs, RBI, two walks, two stolen bases
- Mitch Farris, Harrisonburg: 2-4, run, four RBIs, double, triple, HBP
- Caleb Cali, Waynesboro: 2-4, run, three RBIs, walk, stolen base
- Tanner Garrison, Waynesboro: 0-2, run, three walks
- John Montes, Waynesboro: 2-5, two runs, RBI, triple, HBP, stolen base
- Carlos Pineyro, Covington: 3-5, two runs, RBI, stolen base
- Luke Arnold, Covington: 1-1, run, three walks
- Mikey Brinton, Purcellville: 2-4, run, walk, double
- Jonah Cox, Strasburg: 0-2, two runs, two walks, HBP, stolen base
- Armando Albert, Strasburg: 2-4, RBI, walk
- Trent Jeffcoat, Front Royal: 1-3, two runs, RBI, two walks, stolen base
- Drew Camp, Front Royal: 2-2, RBI, three walks, double
- Dom Popa, New Market: 1-2, two runs, two RBIs, walk, triple
Pitcher of the Day
Strasburg’s Lucas Hartman is our POD after striking out 12 Cannons in 5 2/3 innings, along with only two hits, one unearned run, and one walk. He earned the win and a game score of 72. His 12 K’s are the second highest one-game total of the summer, and only the fourth game in which double figure K’s were reached. His summer stats: 2-1, 3.22, 12 hits, 11 walks, 33 K’s in 22 1/3 innings. He’s a sophomore at Western Carolina.
Others of Note
- Evan Smith, Harrisonburg: Seven innings, three hits, no runs, six walks, one K, win (GS: 66)
- Jackson Nove, Charlottesville: 4 2/3 innings, four hits, one unearned run, no walks, two K’s
- JD Price, Waynesboro: Three innings, four hits, one run, one walk, one K
- Kyle Music, Covington: 2 2/3 innings, two hits, one unearned run, one walk, three K’s
- Isaias Miramontes, Purcellville: 4 1/3 innings, one hit, one run, two walks, three K’s
- Sean Means, Front Royal: 2 1/3 innings, one hit, no runs, no walks, two K’s
- Jonathan Bautista, New Market: Five innings, three hits, one run, five walks, two K’s, win (GS: 54)
Tonight’s Games- Doubleheader… wait, TRIPLEHEADER Day??
- Purcellville is traveling to Strasburg to meet Waynesboro and finish their tied game from July 3- soon the standings will look normal again!
- Woodstock (TBD, TBD) at Charlottesville (Bice, TBD), 4 PM
- Front Royal (Jarrell, Schultz) at Staunton (Hellums, McCausland), 4:30 PM
- Harrisonburg (Armstrong, C. Smith) at New Market (Moore, Johnson), 5 PM
- Waynesboro (Ward, Blackwell) at Strasburg (Skinner, Garris), 5 PM
- Winchester (Lyons, Davies) at Covington (Lucas, Potter), 5 PM