Even with some rain yesterday, we were able to complete 10 games on the schedule. Wow.
- Purcellville defeated Waynesboro 5-4 in their previously-tied game from July 3. No ties in the standings any longer!
- Woodstock 1, Charlottesville 0 (Gm 1): Game two was postponed, so records are Bandits 20-14; Charlottesville 18-14
- Harrisonburg 13, New Market 6 (Gm 1)
- Staunton 8, Front Royal 2 (Gm 1)
- Waynesboro 10, Strasburg 5 (Gm 1)
- Winchester 9, Covington 5 (10 innings) (Gm 1): Winchester scored five runs in the 10th to win this one.
- Harrisonburg 7, New Market 0 (Gm 2): Much closer than the final score (Turks scored six in the seventh), the sweep puts Harrisonburg at 22-11 (they were 11-10 just a few days ago). The New Market baseball club falls to 19-17.
- Staunton 11, Front Royal 1 (5 inn) (Gm 2): With the sweep, Staunton is now 15-21, Cardinals are 13-24.
- Waynesboro 16, Strasburg 3 (Gm 2): 26 runs in two games; the General offense is humming along. Gens are 23-13; Express falls to 19-15.
- Covington 6, Winchester 1 (Gm 2): With the split, Jacks are 15-20, Royals are 13-21.
Not including the finish of the tie game, the South went 7-2 against the North. Again, interesting. This was the last of the scheduled doubleheader days this season, and I really don’t see the idea continuing into 2023. But I could be wrong of course.
Hitter of the Day
Our hitter of the day is Harrisonburg’s Michael Rosario, from Miami, who went 4-7 combined in his doubleheader against Strasburg. He added three runs, two HBPs, three stolen bases, a double, and two RBIs. A little bit of everything. Get a load of this: in 77 at-bats, the all-star is now hitting .390/.467/.662, with eight doubles, two triples, three home runs, and 12 stolen bases. He has just recently passed the threshold for minimum at-bats, so he is leading the league in batting average!
Others of Note
- Sam Schner, Harrisonburg: 2-3, two runs, walk (Gm 1)
- Garret Wallace, New Market: 2-4, run, four RBIs, home run (Gm 1)
- Andrew Bennett, Staunton: 1-2, two runs, RBI, two walks (Gm 1)
- Grant Painter, Staunton: 2-4, two runs, four RBIs, two doubles, stolen base (Gm 1)
- Jordan Peyton, Staunton: 2-2, RBI, walk (Gm 1)
- John Montes, Waynesboro: 2-3, two runs, four RBIs, walk, home run (Gm 1)
- Jonah Cox, Strasburg: 2-3, walk (Gm 1)
- Corey Dowdell, Winchester: 3-5, three runs, three RBIs, home run, stolen base (Gm 1)
- Nathan Barraza, Winchester: 3-5, three RBIs (Gm 1)
- Michael Piulats, Covington: 3-4, run, two RBIs, double (Gm 1)
- Nicolas Rodriguez, Staunton: 2-3, run, RBI, walk (Gm 2)
- Jeffrey Snider, Staunton: 2-3, three runs, two RBIs, walk, double, three stolen bases (Gm 2)
- John Montes, Waynesboro: 2-5, two runs, RBI, walk (Gm 2)
- Caleb Cali, Waynesboro: 3-4, two runs, four RBIs, home run (Gm 2)
- TJ Clarkson, Waynesboro: 1-2, two runs, two RBIs, three walks (Gm 2)
- Chase Nixon, Winchester: 2-2, RBI, two walks (Gm 2)
- Luke Bogan, Covington: 2-2, run, two walks, three stolen bases (Gm 2)
Pitcher of the Day
The POD is Harrisonburg’s Casey Smith, who fired a complete game shutout against New Market in game two of their doubleheader. Smith allowed only three hits and one walk while striking out five in the seven innings. He earned the win and a game score of 75. For the summer, the righty from JMU is 3-1, 3.96 in 25 innings, with 22 K’s. The Turks not only swept New Market, but swept the daily awards, too!
Others of Note
- Christian Gordon, Woodstock: 5 2/3 innings, two hits, no runs, four walks, two K’s, win (GS: 63) (Gm 1)
- Emmett Bice, Charlottesville: Four innings, five hits, one run, two walks, four K’s, loss (GS: 50) (Gm 1)
- John Armstrong, Charlottesville: Three innings, one hit, no runs, one walk, one K (Gm 1)
- Jake Wolf, Harrisonburg: Two innings, one hit, no runs, no walks, two K’s (Gm 1)
- Will McCausland, Staunton: Five innings, seven hits, two runs, one walk, seven K’s, win (GS: 51) (Gm 1)
- Adam Fischer, Staunton: Two perfect innings, two K’s (Gm 1)
- Jackson Lyons, Winchester: 4 1/3 innings, three hits, one run, one walk, three K’s (Gm 1)
- Andrew Standen, Covington: Four innings, two hits, one unearned run, one walk, five K’s (Gm 1)
- Erik Johnson, New Market: Six innings, four hits, one run, two walks, eight K’s, loss (GS: 66) (Gm 2)
- Miles Hellums, Staunton: Four innings, three hits, one hit, one walk, five K’s, win (Gm 2)
- Jonathan Blackwell, Waynesboro: Five innings, three hits, one unearned run, two walks, seven K’s, win (Gm 2)
- Yehoshua Garcia, Strasburg: Three innings, no hits, no runs, one walk, five K’s (Gm 2)
- Joseph Eischen, Covington: Two innings, one hit, no runs, one walk, three K’s, save (Gm 2)
The All-Star game in Front Royal! See this article about the day’s events. See you there!