We’re already on to the division finals!
- Charlottesville 13, Covington 2 (Game 1): Charlottesville walloped the Lumberjacks in game one in Harrisonburg, pounding out 13 hits, eight of them extra-bases, to run away with this one. (You know it’s over early when you have to answer the question “are we playing with the mercy rule in the playoffs?” before the seventh inning.) Nicolas Ericsson and Michael Prevesk led the way; Ericsson went 3-4, with four runs, three RBIs, a double and a monster home run to left, and Prevesk drove in four and hit his own blast to right field. Trey Yesavage threw an outstanding game, allowing only an unearned run and three hits in seven innings pitched, while striking out seven.
- Charlottesville 6, Covington 2 (Game 2)( Charlottesville win series, 2-0): Tied at two piece after three innings, Charlottesville got a two-run homer from Kalvin Alexander, followed by a Gavin Abrams RBI double and Christian Martin RBI single. That was all Jackson Nove needed, as he threw five shutout innings to earn the win in relief. Charlottesville wins the series two games to none, and will host Waynesboro tonight in game one of the South Division finals.
- Waynesboro 13, Harrisonburg 8 (Generals win series, 2-1): This was a wild one- the Turks jumped out to a 3-0 lead, but the Generals answered with nine runs in the bottom of the second- the big blow was a Kasey Caras grand slam. Waynesboro never lost the lead, but it was still nuts; Turks cut it to 9-7; Waynesboro answered with three to make it 12-7; and then things settled a bit to get to the final score. The game saw 21 runs, 25 hits, three errors, five doubles, a triple, three home runs, and probably two anxiety attacks on two different coaching staffs. Waynesboro will travel to Charlottesville for game one of the South finals tonight.
- Purcellville 9, Strasburg 7 (Cannons win series, 2-1): This one had plenty of drama as well! Strasburg took a 7-6 lead after five innings, but Jabbari Smith (Pictured) and Tyler Muscar held the Express bats in check the rest of the way. Albert Serrano had the winning RBI with a single in the seventh. Strasburg loaded the bases in the ninth, but Muscar came struck out the final batter to send the Cannons to its first North finals appearance since 2014. Woodstock hosts Purcellville at 7 PM tonight for game one!
Hitters of Note
- Nate Stocum, Covington: 2-3, home run (Gm 1)
- Cole Wagner, Charlottesville: 2-3, two runs, RBI, two doubles (Gm 1)
- Garrett Spikes, Charlottesville: 1-3, two runs, two RBIs (Gm 1)
- Nicolas Ericsson, Charlottesville: 3-4, four runs, three RBIs, double, home run (Gm 1)
- Michael Prevesk, Charlottesville: 2-4, run, four RBIs, home run, stolen base (Gm 1)
- Nate Stocum, Covington: 3-4, RBI (Gm 2)
- Michael Pavelchak, Covington: 2-4, walk, stolen base (Gm 2)
- Michael Piulats, Covington: 2-3, walk (Gm 2)
- Christian Martin, Charlottesville: 3-5, run, two RBIs, double (Gm 2)
- Kalvin Alexander, Charlottesville: 2-3, run, two RBIs, two walks, double, home run (Gm 2)
- Kyle Edwards, Charlottesville: 1-2, two runs, two walks (Gm 2)
- Michael Rosario, Harrisonburg: 2-4, two runs, two RBIs, double, home run
- Jalen Vasquez, Waynesboro: 2-3, three runs, RBI, two walks
- Kasey Caras, Waynesboro: 2-5, two runs, five RBIs, grand slam
- Justin Acal, Purcellville: 2-5, run, walk, double, stolen base
- Carson Bell, Purcellville: 1-2, three runs, three walks, double
- Albert Serrano, Purcellville: 2-4, run, two RBIs, walk
- Zane Denton, Strasburg: 3-4, two runs, three RBIs, home run
Pitchers of Note
- Trey Yesavage, Charlottesville: Seven innings, three hits, one unearned run, no walks, seven K’s, win (Game score: 76) (Gm 1)
- Jackson Nove, Charlottesville: Five innings, four hits, no runs, one walk, three K’s, win (Gm 2)
- Garrett Bonnett, Covington: 2 2/3 innings, one hit, no runs, two walks, no K’s (Gm 2)
- Nathaniel Gorczyca, Covington: Two innings, two hits, no runs, one walk, one K (Gm 2)
- Michael Rosario, Harrisonburg: Two innings, no hits, noruns, one walk, one K
- Jabbari Smith, Purcellville: 3 1/3 innings, two hits, no runs, one walk, five K’s, win
- Waynesboro (TBD) at Charlottesville (Wyatt Lunsford-Shenkman), 7 PM
- Purcellville (TBD) at Woodstock (TBD), 7 PM