Thursday was the official opening day for minor league baseball, which means even more boxscores to peruse! Three former Valley Leaguers are off to hot starts at the plate through either one or two games:
- Nick Ward (Woodstock 2016) went 4-4 with a run in his first game this year for Beloit in the Midwest League
- Brendan Venter (Harrisonburg 2017) went 4-5 in his first game, with a home run and 5 RBIs, and after a hitless Friday, is 4-8 for Rome in the South Atlantic League.
- Brendan Donovan (New Market 2016) went 4-9 in his first two games, with a run, 2 RBIs, and a walk for Peoria in the Midwest League.
And all five starts by former Valley League pitchers went well (IP-H-R-ER-BB-K):
- Austin Gomber (Luray 2012) went 5-6-1-1-0-6 in a win for Triple-A Memphis.
- Nate Pearson (Staunton 2016) went 5-4-1-1-1-6 in a win for High-A Dunedin.
- Thad Ward (Staunton 2016) went 5-5-2-2-2-6 in a no-decision for Low-A Greenville.
- Scott Copeland (Staunton 2007) went 5-4-2-1-1-3 in a no-decision for Triple-A Fresno.
- Josh Green (Strasburg 2016) went 5-6-2-2-1-6 in a no-decision for High-A Visalia.
And Nick Margevicius (Staunton 2015) threw another good game for the San Diego Padres last night, throwing 5 innings against the St. Louis Cardinals, with 1 hit, 1 run, 1 walk, and 1 strikeout. He’s now 0-1, 1.80, with a 0.50 WHIP and 6 strikeouts in 10 major league innings.
Well done, guys!