Well, the storms rolled through the Valley again, creating havoc with crucial games. The end of the season is Friday, and it’s going to be very tough to get all the games in. And, of course, it’s raining this morning, too!
- Purcellville at Covington- PPD- You could see the storm coming beyond the outfield in the 4th inning… and they were rained out just short of an official game.
- Waynesboro at Covington- PPD
- Woodstock 7, New Market 5- This game was tied 4-4 when the seventh inning began. The Bandits scored three in the top of the inning, the Rebels answered with one, and the rains came before the inning was finished. As far as I can tell, the game is still in “delayed” mode.
- Charlottesville 8, Strasburg 3
- Harrisonburg 5, Staunton 4 (10 innings)
Hitter of the Day
Well, it was only a matter of time before this young man became the hitter of the day again. Of course, it’s Charlottesville’s Thomas Francisco, from East Carolina, who went 3-5, with three runs scored, a double, and an RBI in the Tom Sox victory over Strasburg. Francisco is hitting 426/450/554 in 101 at-bats, and is best known right now as the owner of a 23-game hitting streak.. in fact, the same number of games he’s appeared in this summer. It took him a while to accrue enough at-bats to make the leader board, but now that he has, he’s second in batting average, seventh in on-base percentage, and eleventh in slugging. The MVP is going to be a tough call this year!
Others of Note
- Ramon Garza, Charlottesville: 2-4, 2 runs, 2 RBIs, 2 2B, HBP
- Christian Hlinka, Charlottesville: 3-5, 2 RBIs, 2B
- Andrew Czech, Staunton: 2-3, run, 2 BB
- Callaway Sigler, Staunton: 0-2, run, RBI, 3 BB
Pitcher of the Day
It’s a Tom Sox sweep; the pitcher of the day is Carden Mellown, a 6-5 righty from Huntingdon. Mellown threw five shutout innings against the hard-hitting Express, while allowing two hits, two walks, and striking out four to earn the win. His game score of 65 was the best of the night. Mellown is now 3-2, 5.80, with 27 strikeouts in 31 innings pitched… but he’s only given up one earned run in his last nine innings.
Others of Note
- Alaska Abney, Charlottesville: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K
- Alex Hoppe, Harrisonburg: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K’s
- Reid Celata, Staunton: 6 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K’s
Tonight’s Games (weather permitting)
- Purcellville at Front Royal (7 p.m.)
- New Market at Strasburg (7 p.m.)
- Charlottesville at Waynesboro (7 p.m.)
- Winchester at Woodstock (7 p.m.)
- Covington at Staunton (7:30 p.m.)