By John Leonard
Covington’s Victor Castillo has been named the USA Signs Hitter of the Week in the Valley League for the third week of the season.
Castillo was torrid at the plate during the week, hitting .526/.591/.842 in 22 plate appearances, along with three runs scored, five RBIs, three doubles, one home run, three stolen bases, and three walks against four strikeouts.
A rising sophomore at Florida Atlantic, Castillo is hitting .408/.540/.612 on the summer so far in 49 at-bats, with 13 runs scored, four doubles, two home runs, eight RBIs, 10 stolen bases, and a 12/8 BB/K ratio. He’s second in the league in batting average and first in on-base percentage.
- Joseph Holiga, Staunton: .500/.533/.750 in 28 at bats, four runs, two doubles, triple, home run, seven RBIs
- James Bell, New Market: .500/.522/.818 in 22 at-bats, five runs, one double, two home runs, four RBIs
- Cole McConnell, Front Royal: .478/.571/.783 in 23 at-bats, with 10 runs, four doubles, a home run, five RBIs
- Ian Diaz, Staunton: .462/.517/.692 in 26 at-bats, with seven runs, one double, triple, and home run, five RBIs
- Peyton Crispin, Harrisonburg: .455/.500/.500 in 22 at-bats, five runs, one double, six RBIs
- Austin Bulman, Winchester: .429/.414/.714 in 28 at-bats, five runs, two doubles, to home runs, eight RBIs