Even though only one game was played yesterday, it matters! So let’s take a look, with a reminder of how the playoffs work as well:
The playoffs will begin the day after the regular season ends. The format is the same as in past years; The top seed will play seed #4, and #2 and #3 will face off, all in best-of-three series. The division championship and finals series will also be the best of three.
- Strasburg has clinched a top three spot with New Market’s loss last night. Six remaining games: At Winchester, at Purcellville, at Winchester, at Winchester, Purcellville, at Purcellville
- Woodstock (still) will clinch a playoff spot with one more win. Six remaining games: at Purcellville, at Winchester (DH), at Front Royal, Winchester, New Market
- New Market lost a half game on the top two, and things have gotten really tight between spots three, four, and five. Four remaining games: Front Royal, at Purcellville, at Front Royal, at Woodstock
- Winchester is a game and a half ahead of Front Royal for the last playoff spot, but first place is still within reach! Nine remaining games: at Strasburg, Woodstock (DH), Strasburg, Strasburg, at Purcellville (DH), at Woodstock, Front Royal
- Front Royal (still) can reach as high as third place with a strong finish, and can still technically earn a tie for second. Six remaining games: at New Market, at Charlottesville (DH), Woodstock, New Market, at Winchester
- Purcellville can still catch Winchester for the fourth spot, but one Winchester win and one Cannon loss will eliminate Purcellville. Seven remaining games: Woodstock, Strasburg, New Market, Winchester (DH), at Strasburg, Strasburg
The South didn’t change at all, as all games were rained out yesterday.
- Charlottesville has clinched the #1 seed. Five remaining games: Front Royal (DH), Harrisonburg, at Waynesboro, Waynesboro
- Harrisonburg has six remaining games: Staunton, Waynesboro, at Waynesboro, at Charlottesville, Staunton, at Staunton
- Waynesboro has four remaining games: at Harrisonburg, Harrisonburg, Charlottesville, at Charlottesville
- Staunton has three remaining games: at Harrisonburg, at Harrisonburg, Harrisonburg
- Harrisonburg, Waynesboro, and Staunton can end up in any order at this point. I mean- there are three games just between Staunton and Harrisonburg, and they are only one game apart in the standings!