We had four games on the slate last night, all of them with playoff implications!
- Woodstock 7, Front Royal 3- See below…
- Charlottesville 6, Harrisonburg 4- Charlottesville just keeps on crushing the South
- Winchester 13, Strasburg 7- With the Royals’ win and Front Royal’s loss, the Cardinals are eliminated from the playoff race. More on that coming soon.
- Purcellville 10, New Market 4- I had my first experience at Fireman’s Field last night- what a fun atmosphere!
Hitter of the Day
Well, this is an easy choice! Our hitter of the day is Winchester’s Tyler Cotten, from George Mason. Get a load of this: Cotten went 3-5, with two runs scored, a double, two home runs, and nine RBIs. It was the most RBIs in one game (in my memory) since Luke Berryhill knocked in 10 in one game for Purcellville in 2018. For the summer, Cotten is hitting .261/.346/.522 in 46 at-bats, with three doubles, three home runs, 17 RBIs, and a 6/15 BB/K ratio.
Others of Note
- Skyler Trevino, Woodstock: 2-4, run, RBI, two doubles, stolen base
- Trent Jeffcoat, Front Royal: 2-4, two RBIs, walk, two doubles
- Kris Allen, Front Royal: 2-3, walk, double, two stolen bases
- Victor Castillo, Charlottesville: 2-2, two runs, walk, two stolen bases (This line disappeared from the box late last night- it’s the reason I’m slightly tired this morning. Hopefully Pointstreak can get this fixed.)
- Adam Cecere, Charlottesville: 1-1, run, two walks, stolen base
- Jordan Sweeney, Harrisonburg: 3-4, two RBIs
- Brayton Brown, Strasburg: 2-4, two runs, two RBIs, walk, home run
- Eric Toth, Strasburg: 2-3, run, three RBIs, two walks, home run
- Soterio Ramirez, Winchester: 2-5, two runs, two RBIs, home run
- Ihosvany Castaneda, Winchester: 2-4, three runs, HBP
- Dilan Espinal, Winchester: 3-5, three runs, RBI, double, stolen base
- Aronne Dutton, New Market: 1-2, run, RBI, two walks, stolen base
- Will Portera, Purcellville: 2-3, three runs, two walks
- Jared Glinski, Purcellville: 2-5, two runs, two RBIs, two doubles
- Jeremiah Hill, Purcellville: 2-4, five RBIs, two doubles
Pitcher of the Day
The POD is Harrisonburg’s Brett Whiteman, from Mercyhurst, who fired five shutout innings in relief, allowing one hit, four walks, and striking out two. Whiteman is now 2-1, 2.03, with 15 K’s in 17 2/3 innings pitched.
Others of Note
- Jake Combs, Woodstock: Five innings, five hits, one run, three walks, five K’s, win
- Danny Kirwin, Front Royal: Two innings, one hit, no runs, no walks, one K
- Winchester at Purcellville DH, 5 PM and 7 PM
- Charlottesville at Waynesboro 7 PM
- New Market at Front Royal 7 PM