Baseball America, named by some as the premier prospect rating publication, has just released its midseason updates on each major league team’s top prospects (30 for each).
A delightful dozen former Valley League players have been named; let’s take a look! (Stats are through Tuesday, August 10.)
- Kyle Nicolas (Charlottesville 2018) is listed at #23 on Miami’s list. He’s at Double-A Pensacola, where he’s gone 4-2, 4.46, with 33 walks and 108 K’s in 74 2/3 innings pitched.
- Patrick Mazeika (Waynesboro 2013) slipped back onto the Mets’ list at #20. He’s actually batted 22 times in the majors this summer (going 6-22 with a home run), but he’s currently in Triple-A Syracuse, where he’s hit .285/.365/.453 in 137 at-bats.
- Christian McGowan (Strasburg 2019) is listed at #28 in Philadelphia’s system. Just drafted in the 7th round in 2021, McGowan hasn’t started his pro career yet.
- Graham Ashcraft (Waynesboro 2018) is #8 in Cincinnati’s minor leagues. He’s been excellent at Double-A Chattanooga; he’s 10-3, 2.40 in 82 1/3 innings, with only 29 walks and 102 strikeouts.
- Brendan Donovan (New Market 2016) has hit well enough to climb up on the Cardinals’ list at #15. He’s split his 2021 between High-A Peoria and Double-A Springfield; combined he’s hit .313/.410/.446 in 249 at-bats, with 15 doubles, six home runs, and 14 stolen bases.
- Connor Norby (Waynesboro 2019), the highest draft pick of the VBL in 2021 (2nd round to Baltimore), debuts at #10 for the Orioles. He’s 3-16 in his first five games in Rookie ball.
- Thad Ward (Staunton 2016), Boston’s #14 prospect, unfortunately had Tommy John surgery in June.
- Nate Pearson (Staunton 2016) has “slipped” all the way to #2 on Toronto’s list. He’s started one game in the majors this summer, and is currently working his way back from an injury in Triple-A Buffalo. He’s struck out 36 batters in 24 2/3 innings in the minors.
- Romy Gonzalez (Staunton 2016- seeing a theme here?) makes his prospect list debut at #17 for the White Sox. Moved to shortstop, it looks like he might be good enough defensively to stay there, and his power makes him an intriguing prospect. At Double-A Birmingham, Gonzalez is hitting .256/.344/.462 in 277 at-bats, with nine doubles, 16 home runs, and 20 stolen bases.
- Jonathan Bowlan (New Market 2016), #9 on Kansas City’s prospect list, unfortunately had Tommy John surgery in May.
- Vinnie Pasquantino (Charlottesville 2017) makes his prospect “debut” at #29 on Kansas City’s list- thanks to his power. Now at Double-A Northwest Arkansas, Pasquantino has hit a combined .293/.379/.554 in 314 at-bats this summer, with 25 doubles, 17 home runs, and an excellent 40/50 BB/K.
- Kyle McCann (Harrisonburg 2017) is #17 on Oakland’s list. At Double-A Midland, McCann is hitting .170/.302/.282 in 241 at-bats, with nine doubles and six home runs.
Congrats to all!