We have a double header sweep, two mercy rule endings, one walk off, and a four+ hour marathon….
- Waynesboro 7, Covington 1 (Game 1): Thad Ector hit a three-run home run in the second inning, giving Daniel Batcher and the Generals all they would need in this one.
- Strasburg 11, Front Royal 3: Walt Bailey and Zachary Mallia went deep and four Express pitchers combined for 15 strikeouts. Strasburg is 8-2; Cardinals drop to 3-5.
- Waynesboro 12, Covington 2 (Game 2, 7 innings): The Generals sweep the doubleheader from the Jacks with a mercy rule victory. Waynesboro left no doubt in this one, leading 5-1 after two innings, 7-2 after four, and then scored five more in the sixth. Waynesboro is now 5-4, Covington falls to 3-5.
- Harrisonburg 12, Staunton 2 (7 innings): The potent Turk lineup was on full display, as eight different players in the lineup had hits, and all nine starters reached base. Harrisonburg also got an amazing relief performance from Casey Smith. Turks are 5-4; Staunton falls to 4-6.
- Woodstock 10, Purcellville 9: In a game that saw four lead changes, the Bandits’ Tristan Moore scored on the game’s eighth error in the bottom of the ninth to walk this one off. Bandits are 6-4; Purcellville falls to 3-7.
- New Market 14, Winchester 8: Another nutty game. This one saw half innings in which three, four, five and six runs were scored. Royals blew a 5-0 lead; New Market blew an 8-6 lead… and then exploded to score six in the bottom of the eighth to finally pull away. The game took four hours and ten minutes! (And weirdly, out of 18 hits in the game, 17 of them were singles.) New Market is now 5-4; Winchester falls to 6-5.
Hitter of the Day
The hitter of the day on this nutty evening is Waynesboro’s TJ Clarkson, who is a long way from his home of Salt Lake City, Utah. Clarkson was on base four times in game two last night, going an overall 3-4, with two runs scored, a walk, home run, stolen base, and two RBIs. He’s been on base in all five of his games so far this summer, with a slashline of .389/.522/.667 in 18 at-bats.
Others of Note
- Thad Ector, Waynesboro: 2-4, two runs, three-run home run (Gm 1)
- Gavin Baird, Covington: 0-1, three walks (Gm 1)
- Jo Jo Jackson, Front Royal: 2-4, two runs, RBI, double, home run, stolen base
- Ty Hooks, Strasburg: 1-2, three runs, two RBIs, two walks
- Zachary Mallia, Strasburg: 2-4, run, three RBIs, home run
- Jalen Vasquez, Waynesboro: 2-3, three runs, two RBIs, walk, home run (Gm 2)
- Matt Cedarburg, Waynesboro: 2-3, run, RBI, walk, double (Gm 2)
- Jaylon Lee, Harrisonburg: 1-3, two runs, two walks, stolen base
- Sam Schner, Harrisonburg: 2-4, two runs, stolen base, walk
- Jack Connelly, Purcellville: 0-1, run, RBI, three walks
- Jacoby Long, Woodstock: 2-6, four RBIs
- Tomas Sanchez, Woodstock: 2-5, two runs, two RBIs, home run
- Fenwick Trimble, Winchester: 1-5, three runs, walk, stolen base
- Will Long, Winchester: 1-4, run, two walks
- Matthew Rivera, Winchester: 0-1, two runs, two RBIs, four walks
- Chase Nixon, Winchester: 2-3, two RBIs, walk, HBP
- Khi Holiday, New Market: 1-3, two runs, two walks, HBP, three stolen bases
- Bryce Fowler, New Market: 2-5, two runs, RBI, walk, double, stolen base
- Peyton Parker, New Market: 2-4, run, five RBIs
- Luke Lambert, New Market: 1-3, two runs, two walks
- Zach Shertzer, New Market: 2-2, two runs, three RBIs, HBP, stolen base
- Trey Cruz, New Market: 1-3, two runs, two walks
Pitcher(s) of the Day
Pitcher 1: Waynesboro’s Daniel Batcher, from Florida Gulf Coast, in game one against Covington: Six innings, three hits, one run, three walks, seven K’s, win, and a game score of 66. Batcher is 1-0, 4.69 in 7 2/3 innings so far this summer, with 10 K’s.
Pitcher 2: New Market’s Ethan Walker, from Longwood, against Winchester: 4 2/3 innings, one hit, no runs, one walk, five K’s, which also comes out to a game score of 66. Walker pitched in one game for Purcellville, and this was his first appearance for New Market.
Congrats to both!
Others of Note
- Orlando Hernandez, Waynesboro: Two no-hit, shutout innings, no walks, one K (Gm 1)
- Carson Lowder, Covington: Two innings, no baserunners, no runs, two K’s (Gm 1)
- Garrett Bonnett, Covington: Two innings, one hit, no runs, one walk, no K’s (Gm 1)
- Trevor Sharp, Strasburg: Four innings, five hits, two runs, one walk, five K’s
- Reed Garris, Strasburg: Two innings, no hits, no runs, no walks, three K’s
- Zach Locke, Waynesboro: 2 2/3 innings, no hits, no runs, no walks, four K’s, win (Gm 2)
- Casey Smith, Harrisonburg: 6 1/3 innings, three hits, no runs, four walks, six K’s, win (GS: 65)
- Dane Black, Purcellville: Two innings, one hit, no runs, no walks, two K’s
- Rocco Reid, Purcellville: Four innings, three hits, two runs, two walks, eight K’s
- Dario Herrera, Woodstock: Three innings, two hits, one run, one walk, one K, win
- Charlottesville (Tate) vs Waynesboro (Kelly), 7 PM
- Front Royal (Fisher) vs Purcellville (Caple), 7 PM
- Woodstock (Wilkinson) at Winchester (Davies), 7 PM
- Strasburg (Garcia) at New Market (Moore), 7:30 PM
- Staunton (Payne) at Harrisonburg (Bufford), 7:30 PM