Let’s take a look at the four games played on Thursday:
- Front Royal 8, New Market 5: Tied at three going into the bottom half of the seventh, the Cardinals scored twice thanks to Jo Jo Jackson and Trent Jeffcoat, and then the team added three in the eighth to hold off New Market. The Cardinal lineup had 11 hits, eight walks, and two hit-by-pitches. Cards are now 4-6; New Market falls to 6-5.
- Waynesboro 7, Covington 6 (10 innings): Down 6-3 going into the ninth, the Lumberjacks got a huge three-run home run from Joshua Rodriguez to tie it. The Generals recovered, though, scoring once in the bottom of the tenth to walk it off. Generals are 6-5; Jacks are 3-6.
- Woodstock 5, Strasburg 1: Christian Gordon, Isaac Wengert, and Hunter Smith held the Express lineup to just four singles and a walk, and the trio struck out 11. Jacoby Long doubled in Frankie Ritter in the eighth to break the 1-1 tie, and the Bandits pulled away thereafter. Both teams are now 8-4.
- Charlottesville 15, Staunton 7: Well now. Charlottesville rapped 11 hits, including four home runs, and walked eight times to take this one. The Sox are 5-5; Staunton falls to 4-8.
Hitter of the Day
The hitter of the day, in only his second game of the summer, is Charlottesville’s Cole Wagner, from Georgia. Wagner went 2-3, with three runs scored, two walks, two home runs, and four RBIs- it was the season’s third multi-home run game. His ten total bases is the best hitting performance of the summer so far!
Others of Note
- Trent Jeffcoat, Front Royal: 3-5. three runs, RBI, two stolen bases
- Jo Jo Jackson, Front Royal: 2-3, run, RBI, walk, double
- Drew Camp, Front Royal: 2-3, run, RBI, walk, double
- Will Hudler, Covington: 3-4, two runs, stolen base
- Joshua Rodriguez, Covington: 2-2, run, three RBIs, home run
- Victor Castillo, Waynesboro: 2-3, run, two walks, triple, stolen base
- Renzo Gonzalez, Woodstock: 2-3, two runs, RBI, two walks
- Jeffrey Snider, Staunton: 2-5, walk
- Jackson Price, Staunton: 3-3, two runs, two RBIs, walk, two doubles
- Andrew Bennett, Staunton: 3-4, run, three RBIs, walk, double, home run
- Gavin Adams, Charlottesville: 1-3, three runs, walk, double, HBP
- Satchell Norman, Charlottesville: 2-4, two runs, three RBIs, double, two stolen bases
- Logan Amiss, Charlottesville: 2-4, two runs, three RBIs, walk, home run
Pitcher of the Day
Two starts, two POD’s: it’s Woodstock’s Christian Gordon again, as he threw five excellent innings against Strasburg, allowing three hits, one run, and one walk while striking out seven. He didn’t earn the win, but he did have the highest game score, at 63. So after two starts and one relief appearance, Gordon is 1-0, 1.38, with three walks and 18 K’s in 13 innings. (He was also POD on June 10.)
Others of Note
- Kevin Warunek, Front Royal: Six innings, seven hits, three runs, two earned, one walk, nine K’s (GS: 56)
- Justin Rebok, Front Royal: Three innings, three hits, two runs, one earned, one walk, one K, win
- Andrew Standen, Covington: 2 2/3 innings, one hit, no runs, three walks, two K’s
- Logan Adams, Waynesboro: Three innings, three hit, two unearned runs, one walk, one K
- JD Price, Waynesboro: Four innings, three hits, one run, two walks, three K’s
- Orlando Hernandez, Waynesboro: Two innings, one hit, no runs, no walks, four K’s, win
- Isaac Wengert, Woodstock: Three innings, one hit, no runs, no walks, two K’s, win
- Isaac Fix, Strasburg: Five innings, one hit, one run, one walk, five K’s
- Kyle Demi, Strasburg: Two innings, one hit, no runs, one walk, two K’s
- Bobby Olsen, Charlottesville: Two innings, no hits, no runs, one walk, three K’s, win
- Front Royal (Johnson) at Woodstock (Bradarich), 7 PM
- New Market (Williams) at Strasburg (Kelley), 7 PM
- Purcellville (Byers) at Winchester (TBD), 7 PM
- Harrisonburg (TBD) at Charlottesville (Gair), 7 PM
- Covington (Long) at Staunton (Yerby), 7:30 PM