Five games on the slate!
- Charlottesville 16, Covington 0 (7 innings): I’m not sure what they’ve started feeding the Charlottesville hitters, but whatever it is, they need to keep it up. 33 runs in two games? Wow. And don’t look now, but Charlottesville has won four in a row. Charlottesville is 14-11, Covington is 12-13.
- Staunton 6, Waynesboro 4: Staunton pitching was dominant, striking out 15 Waynesboro batters. Interestingly, four of Staunton’s nine wins are at Waynesboro! Staunton is 9-18; Waynesboro is 17-11-1.
- Strasburg 3, Winchester 1: Four Express pitchers allowed only two Winchester hits to hang on to this one. Express is 15-11; Winchester falls to 11-15.
- Purcellville 5, New Market 3: The Cannon bullpen is the story here- Isaias Miramontes and Tyler Muscar threw a combined six shutout innings while allowing only two hits. Cannons are 9-16-1; New Market falls to 16-13.
- Front Royal 8, Woodstock 7: Down 7-6 in the eighth, Jo Jo Jackson took over. First he doubled in the tying run, and then he stole third and scored on a catcher’s throwing error. Cardinals are 11-17; Bandits fall to 16-10.
Hitter of the Day
The hitter of the day is Woodstock’s Tomas Sanchez, who, for the second time this summer, hit two home runs in one game. Tonight, he went 3-4, with two runs, three RBIs, those two homers, and a stolen base. Overall this summer, he’s hitting .254/.311/.507 in 67 at-bats, with eight runs, a triple, five home runs, and 14 RBIs. The junior from Texas Wesleyan hit .331/.413/.578 in 154 at-bats this spring, with 18 doubles and six home runs. There have been four multi-home run games in the VBL this summer, and Sanchez has two of them- June 5 and now July 5. Will we still be playing on August 5? (Featured photo taken by Michael Terndrup)
Others of Note
- Christian Martin, Charlottesville: 1-2, two runs, two RBIs, two walks, double
- Satchell Norman, Charlottesville: 1-3, run, RBI, two walks
- Trey Yunger, Charlottesville: 2-4, two runs, three RBIs, two doubles
- Matthew Prevesk, Charlottesville: 2-5, two runs, three RBIs, double
- Brody Moss, Charlottesville: 2-3, two runs, RBI, walk
- Gavin Adams, Charlottesville: 1-2, two runs, two walks
- Joseph Sullivan, Waynesboro: 1-3, two walks
- Nicolas Rodriguez, Staunton: 2-4, run, walk
- Joe Delossantos, Staunton: 3-3, run, RBI, double
- Zane Denton, Strasburg: 2-3, three RBIs, HBP
- Peyton Parker, New Market: 2-4, walk
- Bryce Fowler, New Market: 2-4, run, RBI, walk
- Justin Acal, Purcellville: 2-4, run, walk, two stolen bases
- Ryne Guida, Purcellville: 2-3, run, two RBIs, stolen base
- Bear Madliak, Purcellville: 3-4, run, double
- Mikey Brinton, Purcellville: 3-3, two runs, double
- Trent Jeffcoat, Front Royal: 1-2, four runs, three walks, stolen base
- Connor Frost, Front Royal: 0-2, RBI, three walks
Pitcher of the Day
Our pitcher of the day is Purcellville’s Tyler Muscar, who fired four no-hit, shutout innings, along with two walks and seven K’s. He earned the save and a game score of 67, the highest for the day. The big lefty from JMU has been very, very good this summer so far; he’s 0-1, 2.16, with two saves, nine hits, 14 walks, and 40 K’s in 25 innings pitched. He was POD on June 17 as well.
Others of Note
- Brady Kirtner, Charlottesville: Four innings, one hit, no runs, two walks, five K’s, win (GS: 63)
- Justin Humenay, Charlottesville: Two innings, one hit, no runs, one walk, four K’s
- Peyton Ricko, Staunton: Five innings, five hits, one run, one walk, two K’s
- Will McCausland, Staunton: Four innings, four hits, no runs, no walks, six K’s, win (GS: 60)
- Cade Dressler, Staunton: Two innings, one hit, no runs, one walk, four K’s
- Colin Brodeur, Winchester: Two innings, one hit, no runs, no walks, three K’s
- Anthony Ursitti, Strasburg: Four innings, two hits, one run, no walks, three K’s
- Reed Harris, Strasburg: 2 2/3 innings, no hits, no runs, four walks, four K’s
- Evan Byers, New Market: 2 1/3 innings, one hit, no runs, two walks, three K’s
- Isaias Miramontes, Purcellville: Two innings, two hits, no runs, no walks, no K’s, win
- Alec Sachais, Front Royal: Four innings, one hit, no runs, two walks, five K’s, win
- Hunter Smith, Woodstock: Two shutout innings, two hits, one walk, one K
- Staunton (Stively) at Covington (Webb), 7 PM
- Woodstock (Wengert) at Purcellville (Quinichett), 7 PM
- Front Royal (Warunek) at New Market (Gustofson), 7:30 PM
- Charlottesville (Gair) at Harrisonburg (TBD), 7:30 PM