The action from last night:
- Staunton at Covington PPD
- Charlottesville at Harrisonburg PPD
- Woodstock 4, Purcellville 1: Wengert, Hoover, and Glenn allowed just four hits, one run…. and no walks. The pitching in Woodstock is really coming together. Bandits are 17-10; Cannons fall to 9-17-1.
- New Market 5, Front Royal 2: New Market tightened up the North playoff chase with a victory over Front Royal to go to 17-13. The Cardinals fall to 11-18.
Hitter of the Day
Our hitter of the day is New Market’s Edwin Martinez-Pagani, from New Mexico State! Martinez-Pagani went 3-5, with two runs scored, a double, stolen base, and RBI to help lead his squad to a victory. For the summer so far, he’s hitting .302/.348/.444 in 63 at-bats, with 12 runs, six doubles, a home run, 14 RBIs, and seven stolen bases. In college this spring, he hit .293/.371/.507, with 13 doubles, two triples, and five home runs in 150 at-bats.
Others of Note
- Frankie Ritter, Woodstock: 2-4, run, two stolen bases
- Trent Jeffcoat, Front Royal: 2-3, run, walk
- Jo Jo Jackson, Front Royal: 2-4
- Matthew Russo, New Market: 2-4, run, RBI
Pitcher of the Day
Our pitcher of the day is Woodstock’s Isaac Wengert, from West Virginia Tech. Wengert threw seven outstanding innings while allowing only three hits, one run, didn’t walk anyone, and struck out three. He earned the win and a game score of 70. For the summer, Wengert is 3-2, 2.82, with only three walks and 16 K’s in 28 2/3 innings pitched. (The featured photo of Wengert is taken by Michael Terndrup)
Others of Note
- DJ Burke, Purcellville: 2 2/3 shutout innings, one hit, one walk, three K’s
- Grant Adams, Front Royal: Three innings, one hit, no runs, two walks, two K’s
- Eric Gustofson, New Market: Six innings, six hits, two runs, two walks, five K’s, win
- Will Smith, New Market: Three no-hit, shutout innings, one walk, six K’s, save
- Winchester (Watie) at Front Royal (Johnson), 7 PM
- Harrisonburg (Farris) at Covington (Webb), 7 PM
- Woodstock (Gillis) at Strasburg (Hartman), 7 PM
- Charlottesville (Olsen) at Waynesboro (Toro), 7 PM
- Purcellville (Vogatsky) at New Market (Moore), 7:30 PM