Four games were played last night; given the storms, that’s pretty lucky!
- Charlottesville at Waynesboro- PPD
- Front Royal 11, Winchester 4: Don’t look now (I mean, go ahead and look- it doesn’t hurt anybody), but the Cardinals are just a half game behind the Royals for the last playoff spot in the North. Cards are 12-18; Royals fall to 11-16.
- Woodstock 8, Strasburg 2: With another win led by solid pitching, Woodstock now leads the North division by 2.5 games. Bandits are 18-10; Express falls to 15-12.
- Harrisonburg 13, Covington 8 (10 innings): Down two in the ninth, the Turks rallied to tie it, and then exploded in the 10th to score five, thanks to Seaver King and Jaylon Lee. The Turks now lead the South by percentage points over Waynesboro. Turks are 16-10; Jacks are 12-14.
- Purcellville 5, New Market 1: The Cannons, now 10-17-1, are also lurking around the North, just behind Front Royal and Winchester. New Market falls to 17-14, basically tied for second with Strasburg.
Hitter of the Day
It’s the aforementioned Seaver King, from Wingate, who went 3-4 for the Turks, with two runs scored, a double, home run, and three RBIs. The home run came in the fateful 10th inning. The sophomore from Athens, Georgia, is now hitting .343/.402/.500 in 102 at-bats, with 21 runs and 21 RBIs, seven doubles, three triples, one home run, and five stolen bases. King had a fantastic spring, too, hitting .381/.449/.640 in 139 at-bats, with 18 doubles, three treiples, four home runs, and 44 RBIs.
Others of Note
- Trent Jeffcoat, Front Royal: 2-3, two runs, RBI, walk, stolen base
- Drew Camp, Front Royal: 3-4, three runs, RBI, walk, double, two stolen bases
- Jo Jo Jackson, Front Royal: 2-5, two runs, three RBIs
- Sam Daggers, Front Royal: 2-3, two runs, three RBIs, walk, double
- RJ Stinson, Woodstock: 3-4, three runs, three RBIs, walk, home run
- Tomas Sanchez, Woodstock: 1-2, two runs, two walks
- Michael Rosario, Harrisonburg: 2-5, three runs, walk, double, stolen base
- Christian Ficca, Harrisonburg: 1-4, two runs, RBI, two walks, double, stolen base
- Jaylon Lee, Harrisonburg: 2-4, run, four RBIs, two walks, home run
- Carlos Pineyro, Covington: 1-3, two runs, RBI, two walks, double, stolen base
- Matthew Russo, New Market: 2-3, RBI, walk, double
- Hunter Sute, New Market: 1-1, double, two walks, stolen base
Pitcher of the Day
The POD, for the second start in a row, is Purcellville’s Joe Vogatsky, from JMU. Vogatsky earned a game score of 66 for his six innings of work last night, in which he allowed only three hits, one run, three walks, and struck out seven to earn the win. After six starts this summer, he’s a silly 3-0, 0.79 in 34 innings, with 26 hits, nine walks, and 28 K’s. He’s allowed three earned runs all summer.
Others of Note
- Brett Zerbel, Winchester: Three innings, one hit, no runs, one walk, six K’s
- Sean Means, Front Royal: Two innings, one hit, one unearned run, one walk, four K’s
- John Gillis, Woodstock: 5 1/3 innings, two hits, one run, two walks, five K’s, win (GS: 63)
- Stephen Pena, Woodstock: Two innings, one hit, no runs, three walks, two K’s
- Zack Austin, Strasburg: Two innings, no hits, no runs, two walks, three K’s
- Dalton Ross, Purcellville: 2 1/3 innings, one hit, no runs, one walk, no K’s
- New Market (Johnson) at Winchester (Young), ***4:30 PM***
- Front Royal (Ponder) at Purcellville (Reid), 7 PM
- Strasburg (Kelley) at Woodstock (Hoover), 7 PM
- Covington (Long) at Waynesboro (TBD), 7 PM
- Charlottesville (Olsen) at Staunton (Cook), 7:30 PM