Some more gully washers crashed through the Valley, but we still got a few games in!
- Strasburg at Woodstock, PPD to July 24
- New Market 7, Winchester 3: NM broke a 2-2 tie with three in the seventh to raise its record to 18-14; Royals fall to 11-17.
- Waynesboro 10, Covington 2 (7 innings): And the rains came a tumblin’ down… ending this one early. Generals are 18-11-1; Jacks fall to 12-15.
- Front Royal 5, Purcellville 4: Connor Frost scampered home on a passed ball in the eighth to break a 4-4 tie. Cards are 13-18; Cannons are 10-18-1.
- Charlottesville 12, Staunton 4: Charlottesville has now won five in a row, while scoring 54 runs… and giving up 11. Hottest team in the league? Charlottesville is 15-11; Staunton falls to 9-19.
Hitter of the Day
The hitter of the day is Charlottesville’s Christian Martin, who led the Sox attack by going 4-6, with three runs, a double, home run, stolen base, and four RBIs. Martin, a sophomore at Virginia Tech, is now hitting .429/.474/.686 in 35 summer at-bats, with 11 runs and 10 RBIs in only 10 games. He’s a red-hot 11-16 in his last four games!
Others of Note
- Peyton Parker, New Market: 2-4, three runs, walk
- Kyle Joye, New Market: 2-3, run, two RBIs, two walks, double, two stolen bases
- Maddox McDonald, New Market: 2-4, run, double, triple
- Leighton Banjoff, Winchester: 2-3, run, two walks
- TJ Clarkson, Waynesboro: 2-4, run, four RBIs, double
- Tanner Garrison, Waynesboro: 3-4, run, three RBIs, double, home run
- John Montes, Waynesboro: 2-2, two runs, walk, two stolen bases
- Jo Jo Jackson, Front Royal: 2-4, run, walk, stolen base
- Riley Frost, Front Royal: 0-1, run, RBI, three walks
- Justin Acal, Purcellville: 4-5, run, stolen base
- Bear Madliak, Purcellville: 2-3, walk, double, stolen base
- Matthew Prevesk, Charlottesville: 3-6, two runs, three RBIs, double, home run
- Carter Cunningham, Charlottesville: 3-4, RBI, walk, two doubles
- Nicolas Rodriguez, Staunton: 2-4, run, RBI, walk
- Andrew Bennett, Staunton: 1-3, two walks, stolen base
Pitcher(s) of the Day
Three pitchers ended up with game scores of 62:
- JC Toro, Waynesboro (Faulkner): Five innings, one hit, two unearned runs, no earned runs, one walk, two K’s, win. Toro is now 1-0, 2.63, with 13 K’s in 13 2/3 innings this summer.
- Justin Rebok, Front Royal (Towson): Five innings, four hits, no runs, one walk, four K’s, win. He’s 2-0, 4.28 in 21 innings, with 17 K’s.
- DJ Burke, Purcellville (Texas): Four innings, two hits, no runs, no walks, four K’s. He has three walks and 25 K’s in 20 innings, along with two saves and a 4.50 ERA.
Others of Note
- Hayden Donahue, New Market: Two innings, no hits, no runs, one walk, two K’s
- Mason Millett, Covington: Three innings, two hits, no runs, two walks, three K’s
- Josh Fortenberry, Waynesboro: Two innings, two hits, no runs, no walks, two K’s
- John Armstrong, Charlottesville: 2 2/3 innings, one hit, no runs, one walk, three K’s, win
- Jack Billings, Charlottesville: Two innings, no hits, no runs, one walk, two K’s
- Strasburg (TBD) at Front Royal (Fisher), 7 PM
- Harrisonburg (Farris) at Charlottesville (TBD), 7 PM
- Woodstock (Bradarich) at Winchester (TBD), 7 PM
- Waynesboro (Blackwell) at Staunton (Payne), 7:30 PM
- Purcellville (Caple) at New Market (Jackson), 7:30 PM