It’s been a busy couple weeks for Valley League alumni, as not only was Erik Kratz traded, but a total of eight pro players have been released by their organization.
If you want to know about these guys, you’ve come to the right place! (Many, many more have been let go since I wrote this… an update coming relatively soon.)
Erik Kratz, 2018 playoff hero for the Milwaukee Brewers, has been traded to the San Francisco Giants for minor league infielder CJ Hinojosa. Erik will be the primary backup for Buster Posey. (By the way, Erik went 5-8 in the National League Divisional Series against Colorado last year.) Erik has hit 211/258/363 with 30 home runs in 858 major league at-bats in his career.
- Harrison Cooney (Front Royal 2012) has been released by the Boston Red Sox. A 6th round draft pick of the Los Angeles Angels in 2013, Harrison was a Rule 5 pick of the Red Sox in 2016, even after having Tommy John surgery and missing almost all of that year. Cooney went 14-31, 5.07 in his minor league career, with a 1.52 WHIP, 4.4 BB/9, and 7.0 K/9 in 107 games and 356 2/3 innings.
- The Chicago Cubs have released Brennon Kaleiwahea (Strasburg 2015). A free agent sign in 2018, Brennon played in 19 pro games, hitting 213/315/298 in 54 plate appearances.
- The Kansas City Royals have released former Charles Town righty Dillon Drabble (2015). Dillon also struggled with injuries, as he only appeared in two games in 2018 and 13 in 2017. Over his career, he went 6-6, 4.70, with a 1.559 WHIP, 2.7 BB/9, and 7.5 K/9 in 111 innings. He was ATVL’s 12th best reliever in 2015.
- Minnesota has released Robby Rinn (Aldie 2013). Robby has hit really well in pro ball, actually, but still got his walking papers. ATVL’s 2017 Rookie-Level Hitter of the Year, Robby hit 314/381/442 over 717 career at-bats, with 52 doubles, 5 triples, 10 home runs, and 116 RBIs.
- Emmanuel Marrero (Charles Town 2013) was cut loose by the Philadelphia Phillies. Marrero was a 7th round draft pick of the Phils in 2014, and reached Double-A Reading in 2018. In his career, he hit 228/288/309 in 1,322 career at-bats.
- Will Reed (Purcellville 2016) just couldn’t overcome injuries. Hitting 95 mph at Harford Community College, Will was taken in the 20th round of the 2017 draft by the Pittsburgh Pirates. Because of injuries, he appeared in only five professional games over 2017 and 2018.
- Jack Leathersich (Haymarket 2009), a recent signee of the Texas Rangers, was cut loose on March 13th. Jack, a 5th round pick in the 2011 draft of the New York Mets, has appeared in 24 major league games and 262 minor league ones. In the minors, he went 12-15, 3.37, with a 1.31 WHIP, 5.3 BB/9, and a huge 14.4 K/9. (That’s from 496 strikeouts in 310 innings pitched.)
- Adam Parks (Charles Town 2013) is yet another pitcher who underwent Tommy John surgery. He had his in August of 2016. Overall, Adam was quite good in his 162 1/3 minor league innings, going 7-11, 3.16, with a 1.15 WHIP, 2.3 BB/9, and 10.8 K/9.
Good luck to all of these young men in the next stage of life!