You can surely tell, Brilliant Reader, that the Valley League pulls many players from the Big South Conference, as a whopping seven former VBL players have been named to the postseason All-Conference teams.
Let’s take a look:
- Winthrop’s Hunter Lipscomb (New Market 2017) is first team in the outfield, as well as All-Academic. Hunter hit 344/458/511, with 12 doubles and 8 stolen bases.
- JD Mundy, from Radford (Covington 2018), is first team at designated hitter. JD hit 298/413/592, with 15 doubles, 13 home runs, and 51 RBIs. He was the 2nd best hitter in the league last summer.
- Nate Pawelczyk, from Winthrop (New Market 2017), is first team at starting pitcher. Nate went 8-4, 3.36, with 74 strikeouts in 83 innings pitched.
- Radford’s Andrew Szamski (Staunton 2015-16, Purcellville 2018) is 2nd team in the outfield. Szamski hit 315/378/514, with 11 doubles and 10 home runs.
- Zach Peek, from Winthrop (and the best starter in the league in the VBL for Strasburg in 2017), is second team at starting pitcher. Peek went 6-3, 4.37, with 85 K’s in 78 1/3 innings. He’s going to be drafted this June.
- USC Upstate’s Will Wheeler (Purcellville 2018) is second team at relief pitcher. Will went 4-3, 1.85, with an incredible 60 strikeouts in 39 innings pitched.
- And last but not least, Longwood’s Antwaun Tucker (Staunton 2017) is honorable mention in the infield. Tucker hit .297 with 13 stolen bases.